My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to tell if my compass has the SGW fitted, other than buying the reader and trying it. As i understand FCA only put it in 10% of cars in 2017, 50% in 2018 and all cars from 2019 on. I believe that although my car is a 2018 it was made in 2017. I am having a lot of trouble getting a code reader / tool, as none of the manufacterers will commit to a yes or no, even after having the vin number. I have looked under the dash but it is quite difficult to see anything up there to be honest, i was just wondering if there was an easier way to know.
Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had to look up what a SGW was....a Secure GateWay Module that helps keep hackers from taking over your vehicle. Don't know if there is an easier way to know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that's right, apparently 2 guys remotely took over the systems on a jeep using a laptop and a hot spot. They went in through the u connect system, and managed to get into the systems that are normally only accessible through the obd system. Also any info on your phone if it was connected to the car. FCA's attempt to combat this is by fitting the security gateway module, but of course it also prevents aftermarket code readers from communicating with the car. There is a bypass available for it if you can find the module, but my understanding is that it shows up on the main dealers scanners and invalidates the warranty. I still have warranty on mine but all i want to do really is reset the EPB when i replace the pads as the main dealers prices are out of this world for brake pads here, over £300 for rear pads.
I am hoping that i have missed the module in my car. Autel have said on my vin number the autel mk808 should work on mine, but they are the only ones to commit to this. Its £399, but i will be able to do the daughters fiat and father in laws nissan with it too.
I was just wondering if there was an easy way to tell if the module was fitted before i committed to the purchase.

·
Registered
31 Posts
knee down and look thru behind the steering wheel. looking up you will notice the box if fitted by simply chasing the wire from OBD connector if it is fitted.
Moreover, AlfaOBD also detects its existence, if you have OBD2 device.

SGW close:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't really comment on Magnuson-moss warranty act, as i don't know anything about it. I just know that here if the SGW is bypassed or tampered with in any way, they will work on the car but as the car has been altered then the warranty no longer stands. Maybe they are wrong, but they have better legal guys and more money than i do, so not worth pursuing.
A standard code reader just shows as unable to connect as i understand it, a few can see the codes but not clear them, and things like DPF regen or EPB resetting after new pads fitted are not accessible at all.
I have 3 1/2 years warranty on my car, but anything not covered by warranty i like to do myself. To be honest i don't trust garages. I have had this car 3 weeks now, it's been back 3 times for minor things and every time they have lost something off the car.

·
Registered
2019 compass sport 4x4 6 speed manual
90 Posts
Can't really comment on Magnuson-moss warranty act, as i don't know anything about it. I just know that here if the SGW is bypassed or tampered with in any way, they will work on the car but as the car has been altered then the warranty no longer stands. Maybe they are wrong, but they have better legal guys and more money than i do, so not worth pursuing.
A standard code reader just shows as unable to connect as i understand it, a few can see the codes but not clear them, and things like DPF regen or EPB resetting after new pads fitted are not accessible at all.
I have 3 1/2 years warranty on my car, but anything not covered by warranty i like to do myself. To be honest i don't trust garages. I have had this car 3 weeks now, it's been back 3 times for minor things and every time they have lost something off the car.
There may be a difference, uk vs us models

·
Super Moderator
196 Posts
My understanding for US models is you can still read the codes, but cannot clear them. I know I can read data with the ODBLink and AlfaOBD apps but I haven't had the opportunity to clear any codes (still under warranty).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a bit of possible good news last night. I was looking at autoauth as a way of getting a yearly license to get through the SGW. But they don't support us in the uk. So i finally found a company over here that does it but they only support businesses, and not the DIY mechanic. BUT they have supplied me with a list of cars with SGW fitted in europe and the years it is fitted from, and according to the list i have missed it.. My daughter is looking at a 2018 Renegade and that will have it. Here's the list for anyone interested

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah I missed noticing your flag and that you are not in the U.S. Magnuson-moss covers us here but not sure if there is any equivalent of that law over there for you. The car makers are continually trying to crack down on our ability to poke at stuff on our vehicles that we own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok i finally got to test an AUTEL MK808BT on my car. I contacted 3 sellers on Amazon and 2 said it would do DPF regen, battery sync for the stop start and the most important for me the EPB reset. 1 said it would do everything but the EPB. So i ordered one on black friday deal and gave it a go today. I updated everything, made sure the jeep part was updated and..... Noting. I can read and clear DTC codes, (so this proves the SGW isn't on my car), but the car is not supported in anything else. I tried everything for the DPF and EPB but nothing there for the compass. So now my mind is put to rest, it has been sent back for a full refund. So the search continues for something i can set my EPB with after i replace the pads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts