My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I have already posted in this forum, and I thought I had figured out an electrical issue, but it seems to be dogging me.
to recap, I removed a non functioning remote starter, thinking this was draining my battery. the draining continued. I noticed the ground on an aftermarket amplifier behind the rear seats wasnt in contact with bare metal, but rather with the painted surface, so I scraped away the paint so the ground would have a better contact.
Now I cant say for sure the drain isnt still there, but I just got a pretty good shock when I stepped out of the car and my arm touched the frame around the door.

should I try to run a wore back through the car to a more reliable ground?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
That sounds like a better idea than getting shocked every time you get in and out of the Compass. Provided that you can safely do so and it'll work.

Best to see if the drain is still there and then see if there's better way to ground your amp, or take it in to a Garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
are you sure it wasnt just a static shock? The only way to get shocked in a 12v DC environment is to be completing the circuit somewhere. It's quite possible that if you were holding the ground and touching the metal of the chassis to get a small zap, but nothing serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
I really doubt the wire you grounded is causing you to get shocked by touching the frame around the door. I'm banking on static as well.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top