My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 2007 Compass CRD Limited. Have felt slight shuddering of brakes when breaking slowly at around 80kph. Just wondering if anyone else has any previous experience of this??

·
Registered
656 Posts
Time to have the brakes checked my friend.
Don't wait.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Welcome to the forum and yes it's sound like it's time to change the brake pads.............

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! Going to phone up the garage today to get it sorted......to top it off, the speakers on the left hand side aren't working:( Good thing I have a 12month warranty on it!!:)

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Good luck and tell us more once everything is resolved.......

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome New2 .....to be exact it is most likely the front rotors. One way to tell is to tell if it is the front or rear is to press and hold the parking brake button and pull up the lever slowly while doing about 80kph. Do this while traveling in a straight line and while no other cars are near. After slowing to about 70kph lower the lever back to its normal position.

The parking brake is connected to the rear brakes if you experienced no shuddering while trying this procedure it will indeed be the front rotors. If you experience the shuddering it will of course be the rear rotors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rotors were manufactured too soft/ Safety Issue

Just bought 2007 Compass CRD Limited. Have felt slight shuddering of brakes when breaking slowly at around 80kph. Just wondering if anyone else has any previous experience of this??

Yes, the shuddering that you feel is in fact the rotors rubbing against the brake pads. The rotors are warped because Chrysler Jeep manufactured too soft of a metal rotor on the Jeep Compass, and too hard of a brake pad. The rotors need to be warrantied and replaced. It is not your fault, but in fact Chrysler Jeep's fault for manufacturing too soft a rotor.

I have the same problem right now. I have 40% brake pad, and the dealership told me that the rotors were manufactured too soft, and Jeep has issued a Tech Service Bulleting stating that the rotors need to be replaced with a more durable rotor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts