My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we get a mod in here to get ahold of the spam, almost every day for the past week there has been 10 posts from the same guy with nothing but spam.

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might I add, I would be interested =) I'm currently a MOD over at Jeep Patriot .com I wouldn't mind helping out.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
There is a lot more with links posted recently. These should be deleted and users blocked. Malware can easily be attached to the links they are posting.

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a lot more with links posted recently. These should be deleted and users blocked. Malware can easily be attached to the links they are posting.
Someone just happens to be a moderator here now................believe me I've banned 1-2 people each day since becoming a mod.

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thaks Tyler, I fixed your title, just noticed it wasn't changed. Do you feel the spam is getting out of hand or are you okay with the work load for now?

~Marie
Its not too bad, usually 1 to 2 users per day of spam, i'm submitting all of the posts to the antispam device.

One pattern i'm seeing is that the posts always contain links to reddit articles, not sure why that is though

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Others I saw a while back appear to do with some movie or video viewing. No idea about the details as I am not going to risk spending time to clean my system because of a highly risky link posted.

I am glad to hear that the posts/user is banned/blocked.

Cheers

·
Administrator
127 Posts
Hi guys,

There are a couple of things that we could do in regards to this. First, I looked in the back end and I noticed that the feature that scans the IPs of new users against the banned IP list has been disabled. This is something that we can turn on if you guys like so that way it will hopefully catch a few others that are registering with a potentially bad IP address. This is particularly useful when using the OTB feature.

Second option is that we can add the cyb- Advanced Permissions Based on Post Count plugin where we can set it to block links from being posted until users reach x# of posts.

~Sheena

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Sounds good since these are done buy newbies who have NOT participated in any threads or discussions. Links as you know can take unsuspecting people to download hacking malware in one click. Not the best thing to have on your board killing users computers. I don't click on the at all. Clearly it cannot be good.

·
Administrator
127 Posts
Its not too bad, usually 1 to 2 users per day of spam, i'm submitting all of the posts to the antispam device.

One pattern i'm seeing is that the posts always contain links to reddit articles, not sure why that is though
If you click on the username, you can "One touch ban them" which will also automatically block the IP.

~Marie

·
Registered
24 Posts
While not able to contribute any time, I just joined as a paid member.
I'd like to thank you folks for working on this. I'm on a few sites - mostly bike related - but the spam ad ebay ads here have been terrible on occasion. A search can yield 2 pages of hits - all spam, except for one thread.
Thanks again.
Mitch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts