My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a note to my fellow forum members. We have so far banned 5000 spammers. Every once in a while one will slip through. When one posts here I make a personal point of tracking down at least 10 additional spammers/users that have not made a post.

When one or two slips through feel free to have fun at their expense. Just know that they will get 10 times worse than they give.

As of the moment of this post there are 16 people looking through our forums 10 registered as members 6 guests 9 of these have been banned.

·
Registered
656 Posts
As of the moment of this post there are 16 people looking through our forums 10 registered as members 6 guests 9 of these have been banned.
Like gnats or mosquitoes trying to get in a screen door.
Glad you are thwarting their efforts and hope frustrating them to hell.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What about applying a type of "confirmation" email to be able to post? When someone signs up, they put in their email address, so before that person can post anything, they have to follow a link within an email coming from the forum to "activate" their account... I don't know if there is something like this already in place (some type of other security measure) or not, but it might make it useful/helpful to not only the members, but it would leave the Moderators less of a headache at the end of the day...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've thought of that as well. There are other security measures that can be put in place such as like on ticketmaster where you have to enter the words they display. I don't know how difficult these are to implement into the code of the forum though.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I think they are actually parasites, quite literally, using this site as a host for their "extracurricular activities," and have linked their sites to this one. All of their profiles are the same, save the country and the name, but for the kind and amount of spam here, and for the number of visits their profile pages have received, 100+ in some cases, with only 5-6 being actual members of this site, which would explain why they are still online here even after they have been banned and effectively have no access to forum features, they are still able to monitor whether or not people have visited their sites, via the link they have created to this site, without being detected. Kinda the secret door principle, on one side of the door is one thing, but when it revolves around and closes again, one sees something entirely different.

Apologies for the lengthy post, just noticed that since I have been back on this site, and because my work keeps me on the computer at various and sundry times of the day and night, there is an awful lot of spam on here. Good luck in establishing a curfew and keeping the kiddies from being up past their bedtime, lol! :)

- Cherokee

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
My dear friend Cherokee......it was worst before and we are trying our best my friend......as you seem to know a lot about their tactics and strategies maybe you should hop on board as a moderator.......any help and knowledge is always welcome to make this forum a place to enjoy !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
My dear friend Cherokee......it was worst before and we are trying our best my friend......as you seem to know a lot about their tactics and strategies maybe you should hop on board as a moderator.......any help and knowledge is always welcome to make this forum a place to enjoy !!!!!!!
It was just an observation, is all, not trying to overstep any bounds or anything, and yes, I know it used to be worse, just the trash that would appear on the homepage was crazy filth, and I volunteered to help then when the question was raised by Admin. I am sure all of you work very hard on this site, it sure has come a long way already, and I'd be happy to do what I can to help. :)

Anyways, unfortunately, I do have an understanding of how these "enterprises" are propogated on the internet. The D.E.A. is trying to crack down on the internet prescription (and illicit) drug black market, as well as other less than tasteful or upstanding ways of exploiting the use of the internet, but just can't seem to track them all, and scoundrels always find new and inventive ways of advancing their endeavors when they find themselves thwarted somehow. Guess I just read too much or watch too much t.v., lol, but that's my .02.

This is a great site, and should be enjoyed, just hate to see it polluted with that junk. If I can be of any assistance, feel free to let know. :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nothing bad about the Moderators, I know that they're doing their job, and doing a good job at it as well. But what about talking to other Mods from other Jeep Forums that don't seem (at least to someone that doesn't look at them daily) to have the Spammer issues and see what they've implimented to stop it?

I know that I keep bringing up the calibersrt4.net forum, but you never saw spammers on there at all (and I'll be honest, I was on there 3-4 hours a day).

But really, besides the sparatic cases of spammers "clogging" the site, this is the cleanest and most user friendly Forum I've gone to. You don't have to spend hours and hours serching for an old thread, nor (this is the the members) do topics get "mis-posted" into a subject it doesn't belong to, further hampering the searching of some other Forums.

All in all - keep it up! All of us, clean, simple, to the point, no bitching/competitions like you see everywhere else!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just russian ones. If you want to know what they're spamming about let me know and I'll translate it for you

·
Registered
381 Posts
I haven't seen any for a while but I'm sure one will come along

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.