My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a donut tire to keep in the trunk without spending $300 for the kit from Jeep. Anyone know of a tire that will fit the new compass?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Same bolt pattern as a KL Cherokee or Renegade. Junk yard search.

·
Registered
211 Posts
For about $150.00 you can get a New steel rim and a correct size quality tire from TireRack or Discount Tire Online.
Both should be offering some Black Friday Discounts. FYI every time I have called Discount Tire Direct Online. I have gotten some kind of discount. Plus if you mention that you are on the Jeep Forum they give a little discount also.

Reactions: Mudman1

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am new here, so I'm sorry if I missed this info on a previous post. I own a 2017.5 Compass Sport, and it was not sold with a spare tire when it was new. I want the smaller donut spare, so I went to my local Jeep dealer to order it. Not only couldn't they order them, they couldn't even tell me the right size tire and rim to order. My current tire size is 215/65R16 , if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction. I would rather have the smaller donut spare, if possible.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Older original post but here is the stock rim information needed to find a donut type spare that might fit.

Rim = 6.5 J x 16, ET40, Lugs = 5x110 mm
Offset of 40mm
Center hub bore is 65.1mm

We have the same stock tires on our truck (215/65R 16). Our truck came with a factory Jeep compact spare tire which was a Maxxis brand 165/80 D17 115M size. Although it is thinner than the stock tires it appears to be the same diameter, even though it is on a 17 inch rim. The trucks with a spare tire from the factory had a different molded insert under the platform so this may be desired also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Older original post but here is the stock rim information needed to find a donut type spare that might fit.

Rim = 6.5 J x 16, ET40, Lugs = 5x110 mm
Offset of 40mm
Center hub bore is 65.1mm

We have the same stock tires on our truck (215/65R 16). Our truck came with a factory Jeep compact spare tire which was a Maxxis brand 165/80 D17 115M size. Although it is thinner than the stock tires it appears to be the same diameter, even though it is on a 17 inch rim. The trucks with a spare tire from the factory had a different molded insert under the platform so this may be desired also.
Thank you for that info!! I was unsure of the tire size until now. I think I have to get the compact rim from my Jeep dealer, I haven't been able to find it anywhere else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went to my local Discount Tire and they put one together for me. I have the OEM 18"s and they put together a 17" alloy and tire for $140, bought a good scissor jack off of Amazon for $22.
It's a full size wheel and tire that fits in the factory hole where the inflation kit used to live. I know the combo is 1" smaller, but I only need it to get me to the tire shop. The goo kit is useless when you have a catastrophic failure and I'm don't want to count on roadside assistance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I went to my local Discount Tire and they put one together for me. I have the OEM 18"s and they put together a 17" alloy and tire for $140, bought a good scissor jack off of Amazon for $22.
It's a full size wheel and tire that fits in the factory hole where the inflation kit used to live. I know the combo is 1" smaller, but I only need it to get me to the tire shop. The goo kit is useless when you have a catastrophic failure and I'm don't want to count on roadside assistance.
The rim may be 1 inch smaller but if you size the tire with the right profile ratio, the overall diameter will be the same as the 18's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tire diameter size inch formula: MTSW (Metric Tire Size Width) divided by 25.4, then times .AR (Aspect Ratio as a decimal). Multiply this number by 2 and then add rim diameter.

Example: 215 65R 16 = 215/25.4, x .65, x 2, +16 = 27.00"

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4
9 Posts
The rim may be 1 inch smaller but if you size the tire with the right profile ratio, the overall diameter will be the same as the 18's.
I just did that. I ordered the “full size” rim from Dodge (the 17” rim) and I have 18s on my Compass. So, to compensate for the inch of difference in rim size, I went up in side wall height (yes, as we know, the tire size is a ratio of sorts) to match my 18s (pretty darn close). Plus it fits nicely in the spare tire well area. I chose to obviously skip the TPMS on that rim. I anticipate I can get a low profile jack in that general area under the floor coverings as well, if I configure it right.
I prefer to avoid the scissor style jack if I can, but I did check with my LKQ guy and he confirmed that they have the foam (center of wheel) with the stock jack and tools in stock, so I might do that if I don’t find a good jack solution. Meh.. we shall see..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts