My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno: We are coming up to 140,000 km's showing on the speedometer...:think: I'm hearing all kinds of stories about being a difficult task to replace the plugs, having to remove things to gain access?? Thoughts ?? Thanks...........

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't post here much, but:

Compass/Patriot/Caliber are very easy to change plugs on.
They are right on top of the engine.

Remove the four ignition coils - unplug the connectors, then remove the torx screw holding each one on the valve cover. Twist and gently pull up on the coil to remove.

The plugs are way down there, you'll need a spark plug socket with the rubber insert (5/8 - I think) and a long extension to reach the plugs.

Remove the old plugs.
Put the new ones in and reverse the procedure to finish up.

Whole job takes 1/2 hour or less.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Spark plug replacement procedure

:dunno: We are coming up to 140,000 km's showing on the speedometer...:think: I'm hearing all kinds of stories about being a difficult task to replace the plugs, having to remove things to gain access?? Thoughts ?? Thanks...........
Here you have the procedure (from the repair manual):
I dont see a pointo to go that far disconnecting the negative plug from the battery but... is up to you. This is preatty simple. My only recommendation is to have the engine as clean as possible before you remove any screw. This is to avoid that somethig extrange go inside your engine... that is fatal...
Good luck.

p.d: if you need better pictures send me your email.

:wjeep:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Nice help there ^^^^ reps for that! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
37 Posts
thanks much 'w'

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here you have the procedure (from the repair manual):
I dont see a pointo to go that far disconnecting the negative plug from the battery but... is up to you. This is preatty simple. My only recommendation is to have the engine as clean as possible before you remove any screw. This is to avoid that somethig extrange go inside your engine... that is fatal...
Good luck.

p.d: if you need better pictures send me your email.

:wjeep:

:canada: Thanks Wojeda , Much Appreciated......;)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
When I did mine about 40-50K back I only had to remove/unplug one coil since there wasn't enough slack in the wiring.

I need a long extension and I used a cheap flexible parts grabber claw (had 3 wire grips the come out to grasp the end of the spark plug) to grip the spark plug and pull it out of the hold.

Do one at a time and always start the thread of the new plug by hand. Turning the extension shaft as many turns before it bottoms out. You want to be sure you're not cross threading it in. This should be standard procedure for any engine, always start it by hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts