My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. First post here. About to do spark plugs on my 2014, with the 2.4. I normally like to get my plugs from the dealer. Just wondering what others think. Auto Zone has NGK plugs a little cheaper, but i don't know....
Thanks.

·
978 Posts
If you're buying the same brand plug, they should be identical. Various other manufacturers make their plugs to the same spec, and then it becomes your preference, like tires or motor oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're buying the same brand plug, they should be identical. Various other manufacturers make their plugs to the same spec, and then it becomes your preference, like tires or motor oil.
Thanks. They look identical. I will be using the less expensive ones.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks. They look identical. I will be using the less expensive ones.....
Avoid NGK 2477/ZFR5F. Probably great plugs but, they don't really fit - the insulator is too short to engage the coil properly.

My daughter has a 2013 with a 2.4. 120K miles. She took her car in for service and they sold her a new set of plugs. (She'd forgotten that I'd changed them two years ago.) The car ran rough at idle when in Drive. She came home for Christmas and I had a new set of Iridium NGKs waiting. I hooked the car up to my Autoenginuity software and couldn't find any misfires. (Jeep bins them by RPM and I don't know the band pass limits - they could have been happening but not recorded.) I changed the plugs anyway and noticed that the nearly new plugs were also NGK. I also noticed that I didn't feel the coils engage the end of the spark plug. I thought that was odd (you can usually hear/feel the "click" when the coil electrical connector engages the plug). I tried it with a plug out of engine on a coil and you could feel the click.

Again, the car idled poorly when in drive.

I went to the local auto parts store and compared a non-NGK plug (Bosch) with the NGK. The NGK was noticeably shorter. I bought and installed four Boschs - problem solved.

·
978 Posts
Welcome, Glutton! Thanks for the info. That's what makes this site valuable. For no particular reason I'm running the Bosches in my 2014 Patriot (same 2.4 mill).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts