My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Wal-Mart the other day and they had a really nice looking flexible black rubber replacement antenna for the standard stainless rod that Jeep puts on their cars. It's got a built in coil amplifier and is only 15 inches long. I don't like the stock antenna so I will get one and post a pic after installation. Stay tuned.:D

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'd be interested to know how well it works. Does the station drop out sooner when travelling and such.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Sounds cool, and I've heard from some other people that the reception is just as good with a stubby antenna as the stock one. After these messages (he'll) be right back.....:)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got the antenna. Comes with many adapters. Found the correct one screwed it in and then screwed on the antenna. No brainer! Picks up stations very well! I got a small FM oldies station 60 miles away with good sound no white noise. I think it works just fine and matches all the black trim on my baby. Good deal for $8 at Wal-Mart.

Before: stock stainless steel rod 32 inches long.

After: Nice low profile with coil amplifier. 14" long.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
That does look very nice. You know my thought on mods? We're only doing what the factory should have done to begin with, as well as adding a little personal style! Perhaps it's just me and I didn't notice before, but you always had the pin stripe? That looks great as well! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Che, I would imagine the pin stripe was added by the dealer when originally sold new here in town. Dealers are known to do little things like that to make the cars more appealing. This particular car was a trade-in. You are right about the mod thing. Most of the mass produced items are lacking in what American buyers call "accessories". So most people accessorize their purchaces to thier own taste and satisfactions. It's like that for vertually every product. I know a guy that accessorized his lawnmower!:D

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Must've been a cool mower haha, but yeah I think the pinstripe looks great, just never seen it on a Compass, nice little touch of style! Getting ready to do a couple appearance mods on the interior of my truck just as soon as I get all the materials together....:)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine came from the dealer with one on it also. I was going to peel it off but the more I looked at it the better I liked it. It broke the red up a litte. My only concern will be the tape stripe has a tendency to dry up and crack after a peroid of years and being that it it on a fairly level part of the Car it was be exposed to a lot of sunlight. I'm not sure if you can see it in any of my pics.

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/album.php?albumid=34

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those stripes are easy to re-apply. Pep Boys has a complete line of all kinds of stripes. You are certainly right, they do make the car elegant. I have had them on most of the cars I owned.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Mine came from the dealer with one on it also. I was going to peel it off but the more I looked at it the better I liked it. It broke the red up a litte. My only concern will be the tape stripe has a tendency to dry up and crack after a peroid of years and being that it it on a fairly level part of the Car it was be exposed to a lot of sunlight. I'm not sure if you can see it in any of my pics.

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/album.php?albumid=34
Nice COMPASSDL, my eyes must really be getting bad, I didn't notice it on yours, but I agree, looks good. I have the striping on my Cherokee and yes, over time it does peel and crack but like Skyeye said, most auto parts stores carry the striping tape and it's pretty easy to do.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Skyeye,
Can you tell me the name of the Atenna you bought. I tried to read the package in the photo and could only see the Quick and Easy.
Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Has anyone dealt with Antenna X? What can you tell me about them? They are on Ebay and seem to have an interesting 13" black antenna.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't remember the brand name of mine and I threw away the blister.

Most of these "shorty" antennas are manufactured in the Big Chin so any one will do pretty good. They are all based on the same principle and that is taking the long rod and adding a loading coil to make it resonate like it was still a long piece of wire. They all work just fine.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well SkyEye has a shorted antenna but electrically compensated with a coil and if I read correctly amplified so normal effect of not using the correct length is compensated adn the radio does not complain. You can't just through any stubby on its wavelength is all wrong for the FM band. AM will be affected more but most of us will be critical if our FM is poor. Marginal stations may auto switch to MONO or generate noisey receptions or be unusable. I would be interested in looking at the one SkyEye has.

Was it difficult to remove and install this one. Did you have to fish a new lead in through the fender as well?

I just finished searching for antenna on the Websites in US and Canada. But no luck in locating it online.

·
Registered
315 Posts
well the first thing i did once it was installed was check all my preset am and fm stations. everything works fine all fm comes in stereo, theres no static or fuzzy sound. and i kept the old one incase any problems do arise.

it is honestly a 2 min install :) unscrew the old one figure out the correct adapter then screw on the new one

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Schecky, Just to let you know, I installed the same Antenna and the only time I noticed a problem was AM in a notorious dip in our road. The local sports station on AM basically vanished but then was fine as soon as I got out of the dip. FM is not affected at all. I too have kept the old antenna in case.
I wish the old one was like the one on the Sebring that I had it was black and about 25".

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
well the first thing i did once it was installed was check all my preset am and fm stations. everything works fine all fm comes in stereo, theres no static or fuzzy sound. and i kept the old one incase any problems do arise.

it is honestly a 2 min install :) unscrew the old one figure out the correct adapter then screw on the new one
I'll look around here and see if I see one like yours which is likely the best type for performance and looks combined. Sorry but those rubber shorties may work but just a quick swap for people broken antennas and not stellar performance. You need wave length match for this FM band and even with coiling a wire in the length of those rubber antenna its not going to be right. The front end tuner will not match up and will suffer. If your stations are all strong and solid to begin with it my appear ok. Go out of town and your range will be affected.

But good luck anyway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts