My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have a Sure Fire way of Cleaning out Road Salt that has Encrusted into the Floor Mats....Pulled the Rubber Mats out , You know the ones that do a wonderful job on the Cuffs of your Pants... Anyway Hazards of living in the Great White North and dealing with Road Salt , there's always some salt that manages to work it's way right onto the Rug.... Unfortunately I don't have the Luxury of a Heated Garage to combat this issue throughout the course of the Winter....I have tried the Canadian Tire Aerosol Can with Plastic Scrub Brush mounted into the Cap in the Past but I ware down the scrub brush thingy long before the contents of the Can is empty...:):cool:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Anyone out there have a Sure Fire way of Cleaning out Road Salt that has Encrusted into the Floor Mats....Pulled the Rubber Mats out , You know the ones that do a wonderful job on the Cuffs of your Pants... Anyway Hazards of living in the Great White North and dealing with Road Salt , there's always some salt that manages to work it's way right onto the Rug.... Unfortunately I don't have the Luxury of a Heated Garage to combat this issue throughout the course of the Winter....I have tried the Canadian Tire Aerosol Can with Plastic Scrub Brush mounted into the Cap in the Past but I ware down the scrub brush thingy long before the contents of the Can is empty...:):cool:
where abouts are you located? im allways on the road i run a mobile detailing business. ill come take care of the stains for you to help you out. let me know

·
Registered
107 Posts
I flooded the carpet with water, took a stiff brush and some soap and scrubbed the carpet. Then I flooded the carpet again to rinse and let dry. Do it on a sunny day so the carpet will dry faster.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I flooded the carpet with water, took a stiff brush and some soap and scrubbed the carpet. Then I flooded the carpet again to rinse and let dry. Do it on a sunny day so the carpet will dry faster.
no don't do that because you trap moisture under the carpet and your car will be damp for days/weeks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The water will drain out through the seep holes plus the carpets get soaked in the winter time anyway. They are made to take getting wet.
there are 2 ways of doing this the incorrect way which you suggested, and the correct way which i am suggesting. there is padding and stuff under the carpets you don't want it taking on water and salt residue and sitting there!!! this should be cleaned with an extractor, plain and simple. dont argue with me im a detailer i have seen damage done from doing it your way.

like i have offered to other members in the city i will help you guys out im all over the place from north of toronto to east to west i am willing to lend a hand to fellow members.

·
Registered
107 Posts
there are 2 ways of doing this the incorrect way which you suggested, and the correct way which i am suggesting. there is padding and stuff under the carpets you don't want it taking on water and salt residue and sitting there!!! this should be cleaned with an extractor, plain and simple. dont argue with me im a detailer i have seen damage done from doing it your way.

like i have offered to other members in the city i will help you guys out im all over the place from north of toronto to east to west i am willing to lend a hand to fellow members.
Well what happens to the carpets and underpadding when it gets wet in the wintertime from all the snow that is tracked into the car? Most people don't do anything about it. Since your the detailer tell me whats the difference in putting more water onto a already soaked carpet?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well what happens to the carpets and underpadding when it gets wet in the wintertime from all the snow that is tracked into the car? Most people don't do anything about it. Since your the detailer tell me whats the difference in putting more water onto a already soaked carpet?
Most people have rubber boot mats that catch all the run off the footware. Very little get around those mats and not enough to soak the carpet.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Most people have rubber boot mats that catch all the run off the footware. Very little get around those mats and not enough to soak the carpet.
exactly! and if your carpet is getting soaked your going to have problems down the line with rust. this is a clients car and i didnt soak the carpets! and note the vehicle is a mazda 3 very difficult carpet material to work with. they came out perfect! and the carpet is dry within 3 hours not 3 weeks also on that note if you are doucing your carpets with water you will get condensation on your windows and your car will develop a smell. i have seen it many times first hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry..don't believe that.. I have tried all sorts of rubber mats in my car and not one is able to contain the run off in the winter time.

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was wondering, if I got rust proofing, do I still need car mats? I figure if doesn't damage the car, then I can just wash the carpet via a regular carpet cleaner?

·
Registered
222 Posts
oh boy....

·
Registered
222 Posts
nice car mats... but,I don't think many people will spend over $200.00 for a set of car mats.
who said you have to spend 200? i can get a set for 50 used locally...check your local resources/ebay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
oh boy....
LOL!!! I take it from both the response I got from Zac and Tripp that a floor mat is still required even though I have rust proofing. Don't worry both of you, I've taken Zac's advice and purchased the WeatherTech Digital Fit floor mats for the 2011 Compass.

This is my first car and I really want to take good care of it, so it can last a long time.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
LOL!!! I take it from both the response I got from Zac and Tripp that a floor mat is still required even though I have rust proofing. Don't worry both of you, I've taken Zac's advice and purchased the WeatherTech Digital Fit floor mats for the 2011 Compass.

This is my first car and I really want to take good care of it, so it can last a long time.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
Ok, I see your IQ just ramped up. Good move and glad you figured that out. I don't know about the other guys but I take my rubber matts (whatever type) out in the spring or summer and let the heat dry the moisture out of the carpets. Cleaning the standard floor matts and or base carpet is pretty easy with a hover(vacuum) unless its mud you're dragging in. But in the winter they are a must for the regular positions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
who said you have to spend 200? i can get a set for 50 used locally...check your local resources/ebay.
Huh?? Your the one that posted the link to their car mats and they are over $200.00 for the front ones alone. How many people are going to have a used set for 2008 jeep compass for sale?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts