My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! New 2018 compass owner here! I just bought the car from a private party in excellent condition. Everything was working great, even the start stop engine. On my way home from work, it stopped working. I have less than half a tank right now, does this affect it? I have started and shut off the car multiple times and even tried pushing the auto engine button on and off and trying it. What do I do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are known battery issues with our cars. My dealership has replaced them twice. Chrysler changed battery mfg recently. The auto stop/start is run off the auxiliary battery. It's a great way to get rid of the feature, but then you lose other functions. Call your dealership.

·
763 Posts
The fuel level in your gas tank has nothing to do with it. Do you live where its cold? I find my stop/start won't function first thing in the morning if its cold out, say 10F or lower. However once its warmed up it will function normally.

IMO the start/stop is at best a nuisance and at worst a safety hazard. I usually turn it off anyway. However, your state may require it at inspection time. My state won't pass a vehicle with any warnings on the dashboard.

You must still be under warranty. The root word of dealer is deal, so let the dealer deal with it.

Welcome to the site. I hope we're helpful and please don't be a stranger.

·
763 Posts
Oh, Chloeanderson, I just noticed you bought your Compass from a private party. I don't know if you're still under warranty. Still any dealership worth their salt should take care of that without major expenses.

Now I don't mean to make you worry, but a vehicle that new may have had a persistent problem the previous owner didn't want to deal with. I'm thinking oil consumption. Some (not all) of the 2018s use a lot of motor oil so you need to check the oil level frequently. Even if it does use a lot, its not the end of the world, just add some as needed. However, if your oil gets seriously low your Compass will quit right where it is, without any warning, even if you're in traffic or on the expressway and that could leave you stranded in a dangerous place.

Don't lose sleep over this, just check the oil every time you get gas. Its a good habit to form anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts