My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Supposedly, this feature helps with fuel economy. Has anybody done any tests to see if it makes any difference to mpg. Who finds it a nuisance and turns it off, who likes it?

Just curious.

Cheers

Kiwi

·
Registered
21 Posts
Totally unscientific, but initially I kept turning the Start/Stop feature off in my 2018 Compass, and with suburban-type driving was averaging 23 mpg. I then just "gave up" and learned to live with it, left it on all the time, and figure I am doing basically the same type of driving. Now I normally see 24 mpg per tankful over the past year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I hate it...tried to disconnect the aux battery signal connector but then got a check engine light. Need to find someone with a programmer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My issue is you come to a stop sign at a busy intersection and you know when you get a break in traffic, you are going to have to "giddy up and go" and that about the same time you get that break, you have stopped long enough for the engine to turn off. Now you have to wait for the engine to restart and that can be a dangerous delay. So, I prefer to turn my "ESS" off! I know some vehicles with the Uconnect system, the ESS can be disabled but that is not an option on the Compass.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Here is all you need to know TO GET UP TO SPEED ON START AND STOP SYSTEMS!
(I like the donut media YouTube channel 😜) this is in donut media by any means but this guy is awesome about explaining things and really funny too. Great video presence.

·
Registered
976 Posts
lol, Compass2ndgenguy beat me two it, but that guy has two videos so I will edit my post to just have the other one. His videos are two years apart.

·
1,123 Posts
For me the big issue is the dangerous hesitation when entering an intersection.

I appreciate his comment at 12:05 in arudlang's video "Complexity is the enemy of reliability." Pretty well sums up most of the problems with the Compass.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes the hesitation bugs me too....sometimes ESS wants to turn the engine off just as you want to go and the delay seems longer.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4
9 Posts
For me the big issue is the dangerous hesitation when entering an intersection.

I appreciate his comment at 12:05 in arudlang's video "Complexity is the enemy of reliability." Pretty well sums up most of the problems with the Compass.
The hesitation was common on the Chrysler 200 as well. Same configuration with motor and trans as well. I owned a 2015 200c 2.4

·
Registered
34 Posts
I leave mine on. I've learned to do a "reverse tap" on the brake to re-start the engine a few seconds before I anticipate the light turning green. I just quickly lift my foot slightly, not enough that the car actually moves. If I could turn if off permanently, I probably would. Since I can't do that I'm afraid that if I get used to it being off, I'll forget one of these days and I'll hit the gas quickly expecting to get quickly into moving traffic...Its probably safer for me to just develop my habit of re-starting before I want to accelerate.

One thing I hate is that the air conditioning isn't circulating coolant when the engine is off. On hot days the cabin temp starts to jump quickly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,
Supposedly, this feature helps with fuel economy. Has anybody done any tests to see if it makes any difference to mpg. Who finds it a nuisance and turns it off, who likes it?

Just curious.

Cheers

Kiwi
Honestly I have found adaptive cruise more useful than the stop/start in fuel economy.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Stop start works 10 times better (smoother/faster etc) in the 3.2 liter V6 Cherokee. I'll tell you how I've come to know that in another thread soon 😉

·
Registered
9 Posts
I leave mine on. I've learned to do a "reverse tap" on the brake to re-start the engine a few seconds before I anticipate the light turning green. I just quickly lift my foot slightly, not enough that the car actually moves. If I could turn if off permanently, I probably would. Since I can't do that I'm afraid that if I get used to it being off, I'll forget one of these days and I'll hit the gas quickly expecting to get quickly into moving traffic...Its probably safer for me to just develop my habit of re-starting before I want to accelerate.

One thing I hate is that the air conditioning isn't circulating coolant when the engine is off. On hot days the cabin temp starts to jump quickly.
Yeah that's what I do as well. Honestly if you lift up a quarter on the pedal it accomplishes the same thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you want to disable it. Just open your hood and locate the hood pin switch for it (plastic push button front right). Take it and remove it from its location and lie it down under the plastic trim (so it does not depress when the hood is closed). This will keep the start/stop from functioning. The only negative from doing this is a small yellow "A" with a circle to represent that that the start stop is not functioning on your dash. No other issues. I have run my compass like this for over a year now. Easy 1 minute fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I notice that when I start stop after I may have used my windshield wipers, it will automatically trigger the windshield wipers twice(usually on a dry glass, :mad:) when it starts again which is aggravating.

·
1,123 Posts
I notice that when I start stop after I may have used my windshield wipers, it will automatically trigger the windshield wipers twice(usually on a dry glass, :mad:) when it starts again which is aggravating.
When I start first thing in the morning and run my front wipers to clear off the dew, my rear wiper cycles once, too. Usually only the front is moist but it runs both front and rear.

·
Super Moderator
146 Posts
When I start first thing in the morning and run my front wipers to clear off the dew, my rear wiper cycles once, too. Usually only the front is moist but it runs both front and rear.
Are you in reverse at the time?

I noticed the same thing happening, after about the fifth time I had to look it up in the owner's manual, sure enough, it's not a bug, it's a feature:

Now that I know how it works I avoid turning on the front wiper while in reverse.

Reactions: ckirby06
1 - 20 of 22 Posts