My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020JeepCompass 2.4lt petrol Australian model. Beneath the driver's seat I unplugged the seatbelt two wire connector and shorted the two male prongs in the connector. This effectively stopped the seatbelt chime & dash light and the StartStop function. For assurance I removed the short and all returned to normal function.
Can someone enlighten me if when using the short I also disable any Airbag functions? The vehicle operates normally with no alarms or indicators.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Interesting, why would shorting the seatbelt connector disabled the start/stop system? Is this just a secret gift a Jeep engineer left us to find/discover? If what you say truly works it would be easy to make a toggle switch that enables normal function on the road and then flip the switch to disable that garbage when going off-road. I wonder if it would work on our Cherokee... have to say until a few more people can confirm the behavior you describe I am pretty skeptical. It couldn't be that simple, could it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, why would shorting the seatbelt connector disabled the start/stop system? Is this just a secret gift a Jeep engineer left us to find/discover? If what you say truly works it would be easy to make a toggle switch that enables normal function on the road and then flip the switch to disable that garbage when going off-road. I wonder if it would work on our Cherokee... have to say until a few more people can confirm the behavior you describe I am pretty skeptical. It couldn't be that simple, could it?
I can only say it is quite pleasing not to have that annoying chime and dash light when moving my Compass around the property. Also I always use my seat belt when on public roads. As for the switch, a sliding not a toggle DPDT works for me, obtainable from any Electronics shop.
However, my posting of this information is to determine any issue with Air bags when the short is in place, with the idea that a knowledgeable Mechanic with an OBD reader would read this post, give it a go and Post any findings.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass 2.4L. W/ Pedal Commander, MPx Lightweight Crank Pulley & Water Pump Pulley
21 Posts
Because when you aren't wearing your seatbelt the Stop start isn't activated

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Compass 2.4L. W/ Pedal Commander, MPx Lightweight Crank Pulley & Water Pump Pulley
21 Posts
2020JeepCompass 2.4lt petrol Australian model. Beneath the driver's seat I unplugged the seatbelt two wire connector and shorted the two male prongs in the connector. This effectively stopped the seatbelt chime & dash light and the StartStop function. For assurance I removed the short and all returned to normal function.
Can someone enlighten me if when using the short I also disable any Airbag functions? The vehicle operates normally with no alarms or indicators.
Can you take a picture of the plug you disconnected? That would be helpful. And how did you short it. I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because when you aren't wearing your seatbelt the Stop start isn't activated
I appreciate your answer, but I disagree because the short is on the computer side of the seat belt arrangement, so the computer always sees a short indicating my seat belt is fastened.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you take a picture of the plug you disconnected? That would be helpful. And how did you short it. I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
We are just starting up various hunting seasons around here with deer season on the horizon, I am for sure going to give this a try to make life easier crawling around in the woods of our property and frequently getting in and out of the car while its still running, stepping out to post up fresh "No Trespassing" signs and cracking the door to check distance from an obstacle or hazard and such.

I disabled the seat belt chime/tone with AlfaOBD but still get the dash indicator and it still throws on the e-brake if you open the door while in Drive or Reverse if un-buckled which is super annoying. Sounds like this will take care of that issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts