My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2015 compass and it has 17 inch wheels...Id like to get 4 17 inch wheels for snow tires ..anybody know of a inexpensive place that carries 17x6.5 wheels wth the 40 offset??? I know I can go to 16 but that means getting 5 wheels instead of the four..thanks

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Most would go with the 16" steelies. Never heard anyone buying a 5th wheel. LOL You still have a spare although not a winter tire. It won't fit in the storage area of the compact wheel/tire either so why?

16" gives you more rubber depth and travel on rough terrain, softer ride as well. Cheaper solution and more choices available. There is a tire thread near the bottom where this should have been entered.

If you have TPMS in your vehicle you may want to pay for the wheel sensors or you'll be looking at the Dash light all winter long. No way to turn it off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the factory 17 inch wheels and just assumed the spare was a 17 inch also..now that I went out and looked I see it's a 16 inch so that's a no brainer now.. Do you know of any place folks are ordering 16 inch wheels from? I assume I need 16x6.5 5x4.5'with a 40 offset..sorry for not posting in right location. I'll know better next time and moderator feel free to move..thanks for the input
And as for the TPMS yes I will get the sensors..I hate nuisance lights and don't like black tape lol

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Check with you local wheel shops or auto tire chains. Weight won't make it practical fo ship them.

One thing for all Rims. You want Hub Centric rims. Many shop will sell a generic steel and even aluminum which is not hub centric. Otherwise you need hub centric rings for the rims!!! Don't let anyone say you don't need them the OEM are hub centric which means the weight of the vehicle is on the bearing center and NOT the wheel studs. the stud are not engineered to take the stress. The shops have a book to look up the compatible rim with offsets to match the vehicle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check your local salvage yards or your local Craigslist or FB trading groups. On another Jeep site, one centered around the Patriot, I found a guy giving away a set of 16" steelies from the Patriot he gave his daughter, a set he had tried to sell, but nobody seemed interested. I drove 3.5 hours one way from Pittsburgh to just outside DC to grab them from him, so I could use them for winter tires on my 2016 Compass. $45 in fuel costs for a set of free rims...well worth it in my book. Locally, I couldn't find them for less than $150 for a set of 4 used rims.

There are other wheels that will fit the Compass that other Jeeps use. Some of the Liberty models fit, as do some others.

No need to buy new when there are used out there that will do the job just as good. Like I said, check local FB groups, Craigslist, or salvage yards.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For 16" steel wheels, I would get 225/75/16. It won't rub too bad. Other guys reported that it will slightly rub when turning at full lock

1 - 9 of 9 Posts