My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I hope someone will respond with better ideas.
It has been a joy that we started to feel the real Spring weather, but not my 2013 Compass when using AC or Heater. There is a foul smell, like cat poop smell coming out of the vents. This started when I had the car washed. I thought that it could be that some soap were left so I had it washed again with just water but still same bad odor. So I watched Youtube university, and thought of using Lysol disinfectant spray. This worked for a day or 2 but then the smell came back! Some of the videos I watched points to evaporator core but I'm not sure if that is right? I also don't know where the evaporator is.

Does anyone had this smelly problem before? What did you do to fix it permanently or at least longer than 1 week? I really hate the stinky smell (everyone does). Please help.

Appreciate anyone who can lead me closer to the solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I hope someone will respond with better ideas.
It has been a joy that we started to feel the real Spring weather, but not my 2013 Compass when using AC or Heater. There is a foul smell, like cat poop smell coming out of the vents. This started when I had the car washed. I thought that it could be that some soap were left so I had it washed again with just water but still same bad odor. So I watched Youtube university, and thought of using Lysol disinfectant spray. This worked for a day or 2 but then the smell came back! Some of the videos I watched points to evaporator core but I'm not sure if that is right? I also don't know where the evaporator is.

Does anyone had this smelly problem before? What did you do to fix it permanently or at least longer than 1 week? I really hate the stinky smell (everyone does). Please help.

Appreciate anyone who can lead me closer to the solution.
One of the ways to get a foul smell from your AC out is to spray vinegar mixed with Boric powder into your AC vents and make sure that it reaches the AC evaporator. The Vinegar and boric powder mix will kill any Algae/ mould growing in your AC evaporation. You can also add a few drops of fragrance (like lemongrass oil) to the mix to add a fresh fragrance.
The mixture should be 200ml of water + 2 Tbsp of Vinegar + 1 Teaspoon of Boric powder + 10 Drops of lemongrass oil. Shake well and spray into the AC vents from inside. Also, put the AC in fresh air intake mode and spray from outside too so that it gets sucked into the fresh air intake for the AC.
It is also possible that you have some rotting leaves / other foreign material in your AC fresh air intake - clean that thoroughly and spray the mixture there to disinfect it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the ways to get a foul smell from your AC out is to spray vinegar mixed with Boric powder into your AC vents and make sure that it reaches the AC evaporator. The Vinegar and boric powder mix will kill any Algae/ mould growing in your AC evaporation. You can also add a few drops of fragrance (like lemongrass oil) to the mix to add a fresh fragrance.
The mixture should be 200ml of water + 2 Tbsp of Vinegar + 1 Teaspoon of Boric powder + 10 Drops of lemongrass oil. Shake well and spray into the AC vents from inside. Also, put the AC in fresh air intake mode and spray from outside too so that it gets sucked into the fresh air intake for the AC.
It is also possible that you have some rotting leaves / other foreign material in your AC fresh air intake - clean that thoroughly and spray the mixture there to disinfect it.

Hey,
Thanks for the reply,
This is a very tardy reply of mine. My apologies.

I did try the Lysol disinfectant spray twice, I actually finished 2 sprays! The spray doesn't really reach the evaporator so I had the Lysol spay in a plastic container (I sprayed it in the container until I get the liquid) and had a long clear hose to let the Lysol get inside and to the evaporator.
This did the trick!
I did not have the foul smell this past summer.
I'll do the same thing next year just for maintenance.
Thanks!

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts