My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep Compass Limited 2019, 8k miles so barely been driven.

Only had it a month or so and the stop/start function has never worked. Unless I'm being an idiot.

The stop/start function is switched on via the button next to the electric handbrake, the dash pop up message confirms this as well. I come to a stop, put in neutral with handbrake on. Nothing!

Am I being stupid or is this a common issue with the Jeep Compass?

Google seems to suggest having a low battery may be a cause. See photo of battery condition (again I'm no car expert at all) but does that show that my battery is half charged? Should the white line be all the way to 18?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Stop start not working is a common issue but you can just ignore it if it's not giving you error messages about it on the dash. It doesn't do anything. That system does not actually work to save any meaningful amount of fuel whatsoever.

·
Registered
285 Posts
First if you are pushing your start stop button and the little light come on, that means you just shut the system off. So yes it will not work. Your little light by the switch should be not be on.
Your voltage is reading is fine. That is reading your main battery. You also have a smaller battery that used for your stop start function. But your voltage reading comes from your main (bigger battery)

Reactions: Tactical.cichlid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First if you are pushing your start stop button and the little light come on, that means you just shut the system off. So yes it will not work. Your little light by the switch should be not be on.
Your voltage is reading is fine. That is reading your main battery. You also have a smaller battery that used for your stop start function. But your voltage reading comes from your main (bigger battery)
I press the button to turn it on, confirmed on dashboard by stating it is active. I used to toggle between it sometimes but always leave it on now. Just doesn't work, even when all conditions have been met. The car is still under Jeep warranty so I'll get them to check it out as it's never worked once. Thanks for the confirmation on the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stop start not working is a common issue but you can just ignore it if it's not giving you error messages about it on the dash. It doesn't do anything. That system does not actually work to save any meaningful amount of fuel whatsoever.
I see where you are coming from but it's hardly the point. I'm not that fussed about using it but if it's faulty I'd want Jeep to sort it, for whenever I sell the car on.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Okay. Here in the States ours is active as soon as you start the vehicle. You push the button to turn it off.
Completely understand why you would at least want it to work correctly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
well, kinda. its showing the system is charging the batteries.

See photo of battery condition (again I'm no car expert at all) but does that show that my battery is half charged? Should the white line be all the way to 18?
The label on Mopars AGM batteries says it shouldn't be charged more than 14.4v , just an fyi. I know you mentioned bringing it in under warranty, in the meantime a good way to see if the batteries are good is before startup, go into accessory mode (press the start button once without pressing the brake) and toggle to the same screen you have posted. It should read around 12.0v - 12.4. Now start and see how far it drops. With my OEM battery on start up it would drop from 12.3v to 11.6v. Dealer replaced only the start/stop battery and that didn't help. I replaced the main battery with a NAPA AGM, and now it reads 12.4v and drops to 12.2V. Most important no more Start/Stop issues that have plagued the car for over 3 years. Hope it all works out for you

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Checking the voltage from the dash is something I have found to be super un-reliable. First issue is its either testing the large main battery OR the two batteries paralleled together, depending on the state of the PCR. Second issue is that there is so much current draw when you go into accessory mode that it throws the reading way off, most people have their fans on and the radio comes on, possibly lights too if you are in a garage or dark environment.

Pretty much have to pop the hood and probe each battery separately with the car off. Have to check that the PCR is not engaged to be sure you are getting accurate readings. Even then, voltage is only a rough indicator of the state of charge of the batteries. Voltage alone doesn't tell you much about the health or capacity of the batteries without combining that with additional information like the age, when was it last charged and by what means, etc.

That being said a consistent low voltage reading can be a giveaway on completely ruined batteries but on marginal batteries its a bit trickier to come to a conclusion off of voltage alone.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
Don't do a thing to activate your start/stop system. Just put it in Drive and go on your way. Presuming the engine is warmed up, when you come to a stop at a traffic light, just hold the car stopped with your brake pedal as you normally would. The engine should shut off until you release the brake.

All your antics with Neutral and the handbrake are just confusing the system. Just start up your car, leave the switch alone, and drive like a normal person. The engine should shut off when you come to a full stop.

However, there are a number of things that will keep the start/stop system from functioning such as leaving your vehicle in autostick mode, or even turning the wheels sharply. Start/stop should not function under those conditions. Also severe cold (-0F or -14C); you will get a dashboard message saying it is too cold to function.

Frankly I think the start/stop system is a mistake. It causes a lot of problems (just look at the number of threads and posts on this site!) and IMHO it's a safety issue as well. I've never done a thread count, but I bet start/stop is the leading problem with the 2nd gen Compass (since the oil consumption problem was solved).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jeep Compass Limited 2019, 8k miles so barely been driven.

Only had it a month or so and the stop/start function has never worked. Unless I'm being an idiot.

The stop/start function is switched on via the button next to the electric handbrake, the dash pop up message confirms this as well. I come to a stop, put in neutral with handbrake on. Nothing!

Am I being stupid or is this a common issue with the Jeep Compass?

Google seems to suggest having a low battery may be a cause. See photo of battery condition (again I'm no car expert at all) but does that show that my battery is half charged? Should the white line be all the way to 18?

Thanks.
Probably just as well. My wife has a 2018 latitude which the stop / start doesn't activate on. We have a courtesy Alfa, whilst the car is in the dealers, in the ongoing sat nav update issue, which seems to stop on every junction I find it very off-putting and personally I'd disable it. Initially my wife's compass was showing battery too low for stop/start, since then we've got it up to 67% with the aid of a solar charger.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I see where you are coming from but it's hardly the point. I'm not that fussed about using it but if it's faulty I'd want Jeep to sort it, for whenever I sell the car on.
Most reasonable educated guess I could offer is perhaps the engine is running cold if you're not getting any errors. Mine is like that on short hops but once fully warmed up it will kick in.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What I'm trying to tell you is that it's pretty much faulty by design, like it straight up does not work outside of perfect or rare conditions, even on brand new vehicles right off the lot. Even if it does shut down it will start right back up 1.5 seconds later due to bumping the steering wheel or a cool breeze hitting the side of the car. Tons of things will prevent it from shutting down at all (from defrost to air temp) and tons of other things will have it fire back up so fast you will wonder what the point of the shutdown even was.

My guess is you are doing something that is preventing it from shutting down. Re-read the owner's manual regarding operation of it especially with regard to use with the manual transmission. You are not supposed to be pulling the handbrake or doing anything manually or consciously to cause the stop-start system to operate. You get in and drive, and if all the stars and the planets and Jupiter's moons are aligned just right then maybe, just maybe it will shut down at a stop light for 1-8 seconds.

Jeep did not build the ESS to actually work, I'm 100% certain of this. They only built it to be a bullet point on a sheet of paper that got them some big tax breaks and a bit of marketing ammunition. It doesn't really work across 99% of real-world driving and its truly not designed or intended to, ergo there is nothing for Jeep to fix if you bring it in. They can't make it less broke than it was when it rolled out of the factory.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
My guess is you are doing something that is preventing it from shutting down. Re-read the owner's manual regarding operation of it especially with regard to use with the manual transmission. You are not supposed to be pulling the handbrake or doing anything manually or consciously to cause the stop-start system to operate. You get in and drive, and if all the stars and the planets and Jupiter's moons are aligned just right then maybe, just maybe it will shut down at a stop light for 1-8 seconds.
That's all there is to it. As long as you're not getting warnings, don't worry. If you get the message to service the start/stop system, then you've got a problem. Otherwise, rest easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts