My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 jeep compass nighthawk with 13k miles on the clock. A couple of weeks ago one of the day running lights failed to work but then came on again. About the same time I was unable to lock the car using either of the key fobs but this also rectified itself. Now the stop start symbol comes up on the dashboard. When I push the button to start it the engine does not turn over. I have to try this 4 or 5 times and then the engine turns over and starts. The warning light sometimes goes out but more often than not it remains lit. When I stop and try to start the engine again it starts ok. A couple of weeks ago the engine failed to turn over at all. The dash was showing all sorts of warnings from engine needing a service to electronic brake requires servicing, tyre pressure warning also on. Jeep assist attended and started the engine by jumping it off from a stand alone battery and let the engine idle for about 20 mins with the battery attached. He said that the battery fitted had been a bit low but was now charged. He thought that the battery may be at fault or it was draining for some reason. It was ok for a few days but the problem started again. If the car is not run daily then the starting problem re occurs, the stop start light remains on. I contacted the dealership and took the vehicle to them. They put the battery on charge overnight and informed me today that there was nothing wrong with it. They told me that the diagnostic check had not revealed any faults. They have kept the vehicle for a second night as I had explained to them that this is what had occurred when the Jeep assist had attended. They are going to check the battery again tomorrow.
I understand from other forums that this could be a battery fault. If on this occasion it was the battery that was at fault, would it have given the other warnings on the dash? I have a feeling when I speak with the dealership tomorrow they will tell me that there is no problem. I will collect it and then find that the fault will return in a few days when the battery becomes low again. Are there any other checks that the dealership can do before I collect it?
Last question, If it does require a replacement battery (s) are they covered under the warranty? The car is 16 months old. I am based in the UK.

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
Welcome! I agree, you've got a bad battery. These things have two batteries, one for the stop/start and one for everything else. A low or weak battery can make all kinds of screwy lights appear on your dashboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! I agree, you've got a bad battery. These things have two batteries, one for the stop/start and one for everything else. A low or weak battery can make all kinds of screwy lights appear on your dashboard.
Thanks for reply. I received a phone call from the dealership to state that battery checked this morning and diagnostics shows new battery req. New battery replaced under warranty. Keeping fingers crossed that problem doesn't return.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am having the same issue, but with a new battery fitted by the dealer i got the car from. They fit a new battery, but as it wasn't a genuine one jeep now want paying to check it out. They seem to think the battery hasn't been registered. (only 1 battery on mine), but after a day of arguments the dealer is now paying jeep to put it right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts