My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had my compass for a bunch of years and no problems till now. It has just turned 100000 kms and it had developed a twitch. Now it had a slight wobble at highway speeds and got new tires and an alignment, so no wobble anymore but once in a while it will quickly and briefly pull left, It does it at any speed so not a good thing on a icy highway. Its not the rims and tires as will do with both summer and winter tires and it happens once in a while. Wife is scared to drive it and i in my millions of miles on various vehicles have never had this happen before. Any ideas and thanks

·
852 Posts
A pull to one side makes me think of a dragging brake. Since you've had a lot of vehicles for a lot of miles I'm thinking you've already thought about this. Brakes can drag for a while and then free up. A friend's Wrangler does this.

A more fearsome thought is that the subframe is rusted to the point of losing its integrity. Not all, but some Compasses have had a problem with premature rust. In the last day or two I read elsewhere on this site that someone had a complete suspension failure traced to a subframe that was rusted through.

If a rusted subframe is the problem and you are the original owner, you may be covered by FCA's voluntary extended warranty. I think it covers up to 10 years.

·
852 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help and i will check on that rust thing, It could very well be and i was thinking maybe brake problems so a few things to start with,

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had problems with my compass(2011) on it, I had the alignment done too but I found it would still wander slightly accelerating or decelerating, like it was suffering torque steer you get with a big v8, however it turned out to be a bad tie rod end! I complained at the alignment centre that did my alignment that they didnt notice and they shrugged it off making excuses that its really hard to check!

I replaced both my tie rods, set it up by eye and then used a mates tracking gauges and found I'd got it spot on and it drives fine. I also had that situation of a bad sub frame I found out, although mine was early stages, think I read through a few threads about the problem! I had it all swapped out in a saturday on my drive :) thing drives pretty good now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts