My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I drive a 2014 Jeep Compass 4wd (2.4L engine) with 88k miles on it. In September I took it to the dealership because it didn't have a smooth shift from 1000rpms to 2000rpms. They couldn't get it to replicate my problem. I drove around with the guy at the dealership and did get it to do it. They told me to change the ignition coils and spark plugs. I did that. Around January or so, I was driving and my check engine light started flashing. I plugged in my OBDII scanner and it threw a code for a misfire in cylinder 3. I changed the ignition coil again and it went away.

Recently, after driving for over a half hour, it will stutter when I am accelerating after slowing down (i.e. when someone in front of me turns and I have to slow down then accelerate again). It does not do it on short distance drives. I thought it might be the throttle body but my check engine light isn't on and the light for the throttle body is not on. Any ideas or suggestions? I have looked online and some people think it's the ECM.
Thanks!

·
761 Posts
It may not seem related at first glance, but how are your tires? I had a Jeep Patriot (sister to the Compass) and I had a problem similar to yours: it would accelerate fine from a stop, but if I was speeding up, e.g. entrance ramp, or approaching a hill and I had to give it more gas, that's when I had the problem. I never bothered with the coil paces (they went the distance -- 300,000 miles) but I did change the plugs (simple task) and the problem still persisted.

Now about those tires. At that time I had good rubber on the front, and well-worn tires on the rear; if memory serves one set or the other may have been under/over-sized as well -- I forget which. When I got new rubber all around the problem went away. I think the different tire speeds were confusing the ECM. As long as my tires were the same size and evenly worn there was no problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts