My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

A quick search didn't turn up much about 2nd Gens on the beach. I got my beach pass the other day, and did a short shakedown run. I have to admit, I was nervous, so I didn't go too far. I intentionally left the tires aired for the first hundred feet, and I could feel it dig in and wheel spin. I aired down half way, to 20, seemed ok. I was actually a bit surprised. Cant wait to try some more. I'm considering some new sneakers, but I struggle forever with tire choices for sand. The sand can get really sugary where I live in August.

Is anyone doing any beach driving ?
Whats your experiences ?
Whats your sand like ?
What tires are you running ?
What tire Pressure ?
What equipment ?
Tire deflators/tow ropes/etc.?

Pictures or video of your ride in the sand would be oh-so-cool. We could all use some motivation to go Fishing, Surfing, Paddle Boarding, Kayaking.. Whatever !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How about this:
Anyone running K02s tried them on the beach ? The only size for us is 225/65, and I was wondering how they float ? Do they bog the truck down?

26 Posts
On occasion I drive my Jeep Compass Trailhawk on the beach.. Eventually as I get a little deeper in the sand I put it in 4 wheel drive lock.. Then put it in sand mode..A lot of fun... I have a 2018 that’s a lease..love it so much may buy it when lease is over...Car is loaded with luxury....Have also. 2000 Jeep Sahara Rangler....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy Fourth if July Everyone !!

We took the compass on the beach today. Well... I did a shakedown run yesterday, to make sure everything was cool for the fourth, when I would have the whole family with me. I was surprised to see several other 2nd gens out there too.
My major skepticism was the 18” wheels not having much sidewall at all to air down. The first day, I went down to 16psi and after walking around the truck, I felt that I made a mistake. The tires are just so small, I felt like I could pop a bead. Day 2, 20 psi, no issues. I was surprised how well it took the sand, but it could benefit from a bit larger tires. I have the factory Continental 225/55/18.
At first, the sand was packed from some rain, and and all was easy. But later the heat dried everything out, and it was like sugar. Next chance I get, I’m going to 235/60/17, we‘ll see if we can get it to float.
Tell you what, Sand Mode is awesome! It worked well in all conditions, and tire pressures. I was really surprised. It’s like having 4-Low.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts