My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know has anyone who has a compass with Halogen assembly. Was able to replace with a OEM LED assembly? In the past I was about to do it with 2012 Ford F-150. I had to get a chip to trick the computer to accept the lights. That’s another thing, why do you need to reprogram or trick the computer to get lights to work?? I don’t understand why, this is what most Car manufactures have been doing lately I’ve noticed.🤬🤬

·
Registered
265 Posts
Many newer vehicles have a system to alert the driver if an important light has blown or become otherwise not working . In the case of our Jeeps it is using a canbus system to do this. It is fine with stock bulbs but Leds work different and require a circuit to keep the Canbus happy.

It has been brought to our attention that the stock Bi-Xenon HID Headlamps (part of the safty/lighting package) looks to have the ballast included in the housing and looks like it plugs in the same. What is not known right now is if the system would need programming to make these lights work. Sadly as far as I know no one here has done this swap for one reason it is very expensive then not knowing the other cost involved that may be needs to program them!

I'm hoping the aftermarket catches up and offers headlights like these that are either plug and play or can use stock halogen bulbs so we could put Canbus compatible bulbs in them. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bumper has to be completely removed to change the headlight housing, it's somewhat of a task. I have a post describing how to remove the bumper.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
I spent about a half hour talking to the parts department worker at the dealer that I bought my Compass at. We spent a long time looking high and low for the part number of the LED tail lights that fits the Compass. As we were searching, he remembered a contact, and ended up locating a set of LED tail lights in mint condition pulled off of a wrecked '18 Compass for $160 each. I'll have them on Thursday. As soon as I have absolutely confirmed that these are indeed the LED units that I've been promised they are, I should have more to share with the group in my original LED lighting thread. Stay tuned..........

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tails shouldn't be an issue, connections are the same. Headlights however have the same connections except halogen has an extra for the side marker light, the LED does not. That being said they should work but you'd have to tape up/seal the side marker light connector from elements. You can find pictures of both OEM halogen and OEM led headlamps on eBay, most have broken mounting tabs but the connections appear the same & same pin count.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Headlamps

LED Projector DRL Xenon HID Headlights Assembly For Jeep Compass 2017+ on ebay.ca

US $ 526

How to remove front bumper?

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Many LED kit comes with a set of CANBUS error cancelers that's able to fool the CANBUS system that it's just an ordinary halogen bulb. I've installed them in several late model vehicles with no issue. The biggest problem is having enough room in the headlight assembly for this device and additional wiring.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You might want to check out the AlfaOBD thread we have going on. This software allows you to enable/configure features like LED headlights in the body computer. We can use some testers. You can download the free demo app to get an idea of what can be changed.

https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/2nd-gen-jeep-compass-forum-general-discussion/42167-alfaobd-diagnostic-software.html

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AlfaOBD.AlfaOBDDemo
Enabling things that still require wiring that's not present unless it was factory equipped is beyond 99% of owners.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Enabling things that still require wiring that's not present unless it was factory equipped is beyond 99% of owners.

Ummm, installing LED headlight bulbs is literally just making sure that you have CANNBUS compatible bulbs, and plugging them into the OEM wiring. With a little bit of careful attention, you can neatly tuck that added length of wire, and the little black box for the CANNBUS override into the housing, and still put the caps back on.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ummm, installing LED headlight bulbs is literally just making sure that you have CANBUS compatible bulbs, and plugging them into the OEM wiring. With a little bit of careful attention, you can neatly tuck that added length of wire, and the little black box for the CANBUS override into the housing, and still put the caps back on.
Personally, I think I have done the most LED conversion on the site. The whole car is now LED inside and out. The CANBUS system only checks for the following bulbs and everything else is plug and play.

Front turn signal (yellow blinking bulb next to DRL)
Taillight brake/turn signal (the breaking bulb is also the turn signal)
Parking lights (front and back)

Everything else that I have switched has had no need for CANBUS special bulbs. List below on everything that didn't need special bulbs or resistor.

DRL
Headlight low/high beams
Fog Lights
Reverse lights
All interior bulbs (just FYI these are all T10 you need 7 in total, don't know the mirror bulbs yet)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ummm, installing LED headlight bulbs is literally just making sure that you have CANNBUS compatible bulbs, and plugging them into the OEM wiring. With a little bit of careful attention, you can neatly tuck that added length of wire, and the little black box for the CANNBUS override into the housing, and still put the caps back on.
My response was about headlamps (that's what the bulbs go into) not bulbs.. you can't add something and turn it on in the BCM if there isn't wiring in the harness/connector to activate said feature or plug into the unit.. For example, a lot of cars used to come prewired for fogs even if fogs weren't added when built, they could be added later by customer/dealer, having that extra and possibly unused wire adds cost and everyone is cutting costs down to meet price points and increase profit.

A prime example is you can't add the LED tails to the hatch lid on a halogen equipped compass because the LED accent lighting wiring is not there. Sure you can buy the proper harness and swap it but the average owner is not capable and cost is not cheap (and it's a pain in the ass too) I work in a FCA factory, I know exactly how these are built and extra wires aren't there just in case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally, I think I have done the most LED conversion on the site. The whole car is now LED inside and out. The CANBUS system only checks for the following bulbs and everything else is plug and play.

Everything else that I have switched has had no need for CANBUS special bulbs. List below on everything that didn't need special bulbs or resistor.

DRL
Headlight low/high beams
Fog Lights
Reverse lights
All interior bulbs (just FYI these are all T10 you need 7 in total, don't know the mirror bulbs yet)

I beg to differ on the headlights, I tried both LED and HID in mine, both worked fine until you start the engine at which point they flash on and off randomly a few times before just turning off!
Fortunately the Drl’s are bright enough to just about still see in the dark!
I now have 100w halogens in there, slight improvement but would still find candles more useful!
Mine is a 2012 compass with projector lamps!

·
Registered
181 Posts

DRL
Headlight low/high beams
Fog Lights
Reverse lights

I beg to differ on the headlights, I tried both LED and HID in mine, both worked fine until you start the engine at which point they flash on and off randomly a few times before just turning off!
Fortunately the Drl’s are bright enough to just about still see in the dark!
I now have 100w halogens in there, slight improvement but would still find candles more useful!
Mine is a 2012 compass with projector lamps!
I have a 2017 gen 2 compass your in the gen 2 compass part of the forum. So my info isn't relevant to your 2012 compass. My crap eBay led I put in for the time being don't even have a wiring ballast and no issues.

Would be glad to help your issue though! Let's find you the right resistor! What bulbs do a 2012 use? You can just pm me...

K

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I was under the impression that the second generation were the 2011 - 2017 models!
So I stand corrected, apologies!
Mine has projector lenses and is fitted with H9 65w bulbs which are almost pointless!
I tried a set of eBay leds “with canbus “ supported, and a set of Hids also canbus, both to the same effect, flicker and then turn off, ironically they don’t do it straight away, they wait until you’ve travelled for a few minutes and then go out after building your confidence up!
Sorry I can’t PM yet, don’t have enough posts!

·
Registered
141 Posts

DRL
Headlight low/high beams
Fog Lights
Reverse lights
How did you get the computer to quit bitching about the brake lights? I did LED's, had load resistors, and still couldn't silence that alarm. I finally gave up and put the incandescent back in. I'm all ears to get those to LED as well. Also, Headlights ARE part of the CANNBUS system. I had a set of them that the load resistors were bad, and yup, got the bulb out indicator. My bet is that yours has the load resistors built in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts