My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2020 Jeep Compass Latitude. I would like to switch to full synthetic. My Compass has a little under 200 miles on it (just bought it), and when would it be okay to change to synthetic? In other words, should I let the Jeep break-in with the factory oil?

·
Registered
910 Posts
It already comes with full-synthetic oil, I don't think there are any brands left that are using anything but full-synthetic on new cars.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nee Engines are filled with running in Oil! That can bei Synt.- or Mineraloil

1. Do some reading, owners manual is a good place to start.

2. Call the dealer, better yet visit the dealer.

3. Please elaborate re; running in oil.

4. See # 3.

·
890 Posts
I don't think anyone uses break-in oil anymore. However I usually do my first oil change prematurely, i.e, maybe around 2000 miles, I agree with Arudlang. 0w-20 is a synthetic blend. I don't think its available in conventional oil -- at least I haven't seen it around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1. Do some reading, owners manual is a good place to start.

2. Call the dealer, better yet visit the dealer.

3. Please elaborate re; running in oil.

4. See # 3.
1. Reading is always good.
2. Calling the Dealer ist good for People that can't read.
3. Running in Oil is used by the most Manufakturer for the first filling in new Engines. It is less friction modified for the running in phase off new Engines or rebuild Engines.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yeah I have no hard evidence to back it up but I am pretty sure you will not find "break-in oil" in these mass-produced bargain-bin 4 bangers. You might see break-in oil on a BMW or Audi or Porsche or something like that, but modern engine manufacturing doesn't really have a need for it any more on basic engines, and haven't needed it for a long time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They use break in oil at the factory when they run them on special machines that take the place of the oil pan. Then they assemble them with the oil pan and fill with full synthetic. 0w20 only comes in full synthetic. Never seen anything but synthetic. No cars leave the factory with break in oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a new 2020 Jeep Compass Latitude. I would like to switch to full synthetic. My Compass has a little under 200 miles on it (just bought it), and when would it be okay to change to synthetic? In other words, should I let the Jeep break-in with the factory oil?
The jeep dealerships use fully synthetic and i was told it came with fully off the production line from jeep. i looked up the oil part number on their invoice after my first oil change and Jeep uses a fully synthetic Penzoil. That part number hasn't changed from 2018 to now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome afrank, but FIRST and foremost check your oil every 1,000 miles !
as others have stated, it comes with full synthetic and i'd agree, have the first oil change at or around 2,500 miles.
the oil would need to meet FCA's MS-6395 requirements.
Mopar 0w-20 68218950AB
Mopar 0w-20 68152004PA
Dealer part number 68283520AA is Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use the supertech oil from Walmart. Meets all the standards. Change oil every 4k since we do stop and go. Been using this stuff in all my cars. 30k on 2018 compass no issues. All my other 3 cars are all over 150k miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As noted above, the 2.4L actual requires a spec that makes it require synthetic oil. Also, as someone noted, you’ll need to keep checking your oil level frequently as that engine has well documented oil consumption issues. Also, it’s consumption seems to vary over time, so just because it seems fine for the first year or so doesn’t mean it will continue to be. If the engine detects that the oil is too low, it will shut off without warning, often at the most inconvenient times.

·
890 Posts
Also, it’s consumption seems to vary over time, so just because it seems fine for the first year or so doesn’t mean it will continue to be.
I'm glad you mentioned that. My 2018 was improving by about 30,000 miles.
My 2019 is now at 20,000 miles. I checked my oil yesterday and for the first time ever it was down 1/2 quart on the stick (2000 miles).
If the engine detects that the oil is too low, it will shut off without warning, often at the most inconvenient times.
"Inconvenient [and DANGEROUS] times."
Like miles from town, middle of an intersection, dead of night, in a snowstorm, etc. FCA's logic on this is that's its better to kill the occupants than do further damage to an already flawed engine!!!!

Cynically I wonder why they even have the low oil shut-off feature. Why not just let the engine seize and make the owner buy a new one?

All humor aside, to have such a shut-off without a low oil warning light certainly demonstrates a serious lack of safety concern on FCA's part. They'll do whats legally required and not an inch more.

For all the electronic gizmos on these things how hard would it be to have an oil level indicator on the dashboard? But we've got an oil temperature indicator! What good is that?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Jasmine said:
But we've got an oil temperature indicator! What good is that?
I know right?!I have wondered about that myself, I just don't understand what makes them think that is useful information. Coolant temp is critical for sure, but oil temp always seems to be the same (once warmed up),regardless of whether I am putsing around town or towing near double the weight limit. Does the ECU do anything different based on oil temp information or what is the point of that? Not to get off on a tangent..

·
Super Moderator
95 Posts
...If the engine detects that the oil is too low, it will shut off without warning, often at the most inconvenient times...
...Cynically I wonder why they even have the low oil shut-off feature...

Is there actually a low oil shut-off feature, or does the engine stall if there is insufficient oil pressure to actuate the valves?

·
890 Posts
Is there actually a low oil shut-off feature, or does the engine stall if there is insufficient oil pressure to actuate the valves?
I've never seen the warning on my dash, but I check my oil frequently. However, I believe it is an engine shut down function. Maybe someone who's experienced this can chime in -- maybe tell if there was further info displayed on the EVIC.

·
890 Posts
PS, I'm thinking if the valves didn't have sufficient pressure to operate there would be all kinds of performance problems leading up to the actual shut-down.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts