My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
How about they replace the engine oil temperature display with, or better yet add, an oil pressure gauge and also add a low oil level warning.

Instead of the vehicles shutting off instantly without warning when the oil gets too low, they should have it give a serious warning that the vehicle is going into an emergency shut down and that in # minutes will turn off. It could then display a count down. That way you can have time to exit traffic, etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
PS, I'm thinking if the valves didn't have sufficient pressure to operate there would be all kinds of performance problems leading up to the actual shut-down.
I had a 1983 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4x4. That vehicle was a real learning experience. It had nearly every mechanical problem imaginable. When I had to replace the engine, the rebuilt engine had hydraulic lifters that were noisy until the oil got pumping enough oil pressure through them or if the oil level was low. Do these engines in the Compass have hydraulic lifters or is it something entirely different?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Welcome afrank, but FIRST and foremost check your oil every 1,000 miles !
as others have stated, it comes with full synthetic and i'd agree, have the first oil change at or around 2,500 miles.
the oil would need to meet FCA's MS-6395 requirements.
Mopar 0w-20 68218950AB
Mopar 0w-20 68152004PA
Dealer part number 68283520AA is Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20
Thank you very much. This was really very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
248 Posts
...Do these engines in the Compass have hydraulic lifters or is it something entirely different?
The 2.4L engines in these Compasses use Multiair2 technology, there is no direct mechanical connection between the cam and the intake valves, the intake valves are opened and closed via an electro-hydraulic system. The cam followers pressurize the oil via a pumping action, the electronic solenoids control the flow of that oil to open or close the intake valve.

If there is no oil in the valve actuators, the intake valves cannot open.

Reactions: H20DOG

·
Super Moderator
1,540 Posts
I had a 1983 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4x4. That vehicle was a real learning experience. It had nearly every mechanical problem imaginable. When I had to replace the engine, the rebuilt engine had hydraulic lifters that were noisy until the oil got pumping enough oil pressure through them or if the oil level was low. Do these engines in the Compass have hydraulic lifters or is it something entirely different?
This video explains it better than I can:

As best I understand, its a modified form of hydraulics. I imagine this super-thin oil might serve a purpose in getting those valves fully functional faster than the ones in your old Chevy, and being synthetic it may perform better under varying conditions and operating temperatures. I suspect the reasons and purposes run deeper than that, but its a start!

·
Registered
42 Posts
See my input thread on synthetic oil. I only use MOBIL 1 and the BEST oil filter.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Pennzoil does make a Synthetic Blend Oil. https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/fc51dc58-8ccd-41f3-a61a-9c2850b03c03.pdf
Why anyone would use it is beyond me unless it's cost is sustainably lower.
Back when my trailhawk was new, I went to two dealers and they wanted to up sell me to synthetic for rather nice up charge. Told them how can there be a extra charge for synthetic when the recommended oil was 0w20. Both dealerships told me the same thing they use bulk 5w20 non synthetic for most of their oil changes. So I asked, if I don't pay for the upgrade to synthetic I get 5w20? They both said yes. It won't hurt your vehicle. Which is why I change my own oil.

Reactions: serg102

·
Registered
45 Posts
Back when my trailhawk was new, I went to two dealers and they wanted to up sell me to synthetic for rather nice up charge. Told them how can there be a extra charge for synthetic when the recommended oil was 0w20. Both dealerships told me the same thing they use bulk 5w20 non synthetic for most of their oil changes. So I asked, if I don't pay for the upgrade to synthetic I get 5w20? They both said yes. It won't hurt your vehicle. Which is why I change my own oil.
All the dealers in the world are similar.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wishawk,. change the oil to synthetic! The engine will last and will have no discernable wear ( I am a former GM tech and an automotive trainer). See my thread on synthetic oil. It's too long to retype. If you would like, you can contact me. Marty

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
90 Posts
Pennzoil does make a Synthetic Blend Oil. https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/fc51dc58-8ccd-41f3-a61a-9c2850b03c03.pdf
Why anyone would use it is beyond me unless it's cost is sustainably lower.
Most of our dealers now use a bulk blend Not sure any use traditional. Synthetic is an up charge/grade unless it is required. You still have to pay more. A lot of safety in synthetic.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wishawk,. change the oil to synthetic! The engine will last and will have no discernable wear ( I am a former GM tech and an automotive trainer). See my thread on synthetic oil. It's too long to retype. If you would like, you can contact me. Marty
I have always used synthetic oil in my Trailhawk since it was new. It now has over 105,000 miles. Never had any issue with oil consumption.
With a background in tribology, I have reviewed many oils over the years.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts