My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
How about they replace the engine oil temperature display with, or better yet add, an oil pressure gauge and also add a low oil level warning.

Instead of the vehicles shutting off instantly without warning when the oil gets too low, they should have it give a serious warning that the vehicle is going into an emergency shut down and that in # minutes will turn off. It could then display a count down. That way you can have time to exit traffic, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
PS, I'm thinking if the valves didn't have sufficient pressure to operate there would be all kinds of performance problems leading up to the actual shut-down.
I had a 1983 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4x4. That vehicle was a real learning experience. It had nearly every mechanical problem imaginable. When I had to replace the engine, the rebuilt engine had hydraulic lifters that were noisy until the oil got pumping enough oil pressure through them or if the oil level was low. Do these engines in the Compass have hydraulic lifters or is it something entirely different?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Welcome afrank, but FIRST and foremost check your oil every 1,000 miles !
as others have stated, it comes with full synthetic and i'd agree, have the first oil change at or around 2,500 miles.
the oil would need to meet FCA's MS-6395 requirements.
Mopar 0w-20 68218950AB
Mopar 0w-20 68152004PA
Dealer part number 68283520AA is Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20
Thank you very much. This was really very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
95 Posts
...Do these engines in the Compass have hydraulic lifters or is it something entirely different?
The 2.4L engines in these Compasses use Multiair2 technology, there is no direct mechanical connection between the cam and the intake valves, the intake valves are opened and closed via an electro-hydraulic system. The cam followers pressurize the oil via a pumping action, the electronic solenoids control the flow of that oil to open or close the intake valve.

If there is no oil in the valve actuators, the intake valves cannot open.

·
890 Posts
I had a 1983 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4x4. That vehicle was a real learning experience. It had nearly every mechanical problem imaginable. When I had to replace the engine, the rebuilt engine had hydraulic lifters that were noisy until the oil got pumping enough oil pressure through them or if the oil level was low. Do these engines in the Compass have hydraulic lifters or is it something entirely different?
This video explains it better than I can:

As best I understand, its a modified form of hydraulics. I imagine this super-thin oil might serve a purpose in getting those valves fully functional faster than the ones in your old Chevy, and being synthetic it may perform better under varying conditions and operating temperatures. I suspect the reasons and purposes run deeper than that, but its a start!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts