My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct section!

Last night my boyfriend and I drove to a "neighboring" town to do some shopping - plus to just get out of town for awhile.
On the drive home, we were watching the outside temperature and groaning - it was fluctuating between -3 and -11 degrees F. About half way home, I looked over at the temp gauge and saw the needle wasn't where it usually is. Now I haven't driven in much weather that cold since last winter and I don't remember where the needle would rest at that point. When it's this cold, I usually stay at home, just doing in town driving, with most trips being very short, so the needle never fully makes it to its desired resting location.
The needle - during the summer months - usually rests fairly close to the middle point of the gauge. Last night it was resting more between 1/4 and half. I'm wondering if this is because of the cold and me driving the vehicle at highway speeds. Would that affect that at all?
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it is pretty normal. The needle in my 2012 Compass behaves exactly like that for summer/winter and the 2010 Patriot I owned before the Compass was exactly the same also. :canada:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys! That helps ease my mind :)
On another note, has anyone noticed a little bit of a drop in the level of coolant in the reservoir? I've read online that in the cold the coolant contracts and the level can drop a bit. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes coolant " contracts a bit in Colder weather, but should return back to normal when driven a while. I wouldn't add any fluids when this happens due to it might expand and overfill the coolant tank. Also I notice the same with MY 300C temp gauge when it's colder in town.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check your owner's manual regarding coolant level.

There are two marks on the recovery bottle:
Add and Full Hot.
So long as the coolant level is between these two lines, your level is good.

As you have seen, the level can vary a lot between a cold engine and one that is up to temperature.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been keeping an eye on the coolant level and I swear it's still slowly dropping. If I remember correctly, a long time ago it seemed to hover around the cold line when the engine was cold. Now it's about an inch below that. At first I thought it was just due to the cold weather but I'm really starting to wonder now since it still seems to be dropping.
I will be bringing it in within a month for an oil change so I will mention this at that time.
But I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Or if anyone has any ideas of what it might be?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Yesterday morning I had checked the coolant level before I left for a trip. It was an inch below the cold line when the engine was cold. My trip was an hour away and when I got back home, while the engine was still warm and the vehicle still running, I popped the hood to see where the coolant level was at when the vehicle was warm. It had moved up to the cold line.
I checked four hours later and the level had not moved.
I left it overnight and it had dropped between 1/4" to 1/2".
I'm just confused as to what is going on or if this is normal behavior???
I would really appreciate feedback.
Thank you! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts