My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this issue?

Back when I first bought my Compass, I used to be able to honk my horn by gently pushing my right thumb on the lower right corner. Not too much pressure needed to make it toot.

Now (4 years later) that doesn't work anymore and I almost have to wail at it in the center to get the horn to go (well I may be exaggerating but it's not as easy as it used to be).

Anyone know the reason for this and can I fix it myself?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Might be the cold weather since its winter in NY as well. The steering center stiffens in the cold. I suppose you could try if after a hour or two of driving with the interior really heated well and see if that does anything.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Might be the cold weather since its winter in NY as well. The steer center stiffens in the cold. I suppose you could try if after a hour or two of drive with the interior really heated well and see if that does anything.
my horn doesent work at all if i hit it before it would cut out and die now it doesent work at all!!!! also tripple what problems are you having???? POST on nhtsa i have all the paperwork to file an investigaton against tie rod issues and seatbelt issues just need to do it.... DONT BUY A COMPASS .

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
This could fall under the safety group of coverage which is not limited to the regular warranty. Since horns have to work for a safety certificate.

Call a dealer or if you have time go in that it doesn't most of the time and this is a big safety concern. Watch them fix it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This could fall under the safety group of coverage which is not limited to the regular warranty. Since horns have to work for a safety certificate.

Call a dealer or if you have time go in that it doesn't most of the time and this is a big safety concern. Watch them fix it.
i just called them as per my other post and it's not covered.....like i said im making a video in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You could report it to Transport Canada. They will investigate for sure and if its a safety issue. The will ORDER them to fix it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You could report it to Transport Canada. They will investigate for sure and if its a safety issue. The will ORDER them to fix it.
well i had a few minutes to look at the horn i had my dad hold the horn while i touched the wire low and behold it had a really shitty connection but it does work...for now grunt

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I see where the horn is located in the corner low and will catch a lot of road spray and likely salt. Not suprised. I would get in there this summer and spray Krown or some other rust spray to keep that away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Horn issue fixed

Well... after living with a horn that only worked when you hit it a certain way, I finally decided to open up the steering wheel and check the connections. I disconnected the battery and waited a while before disconnecting the air bag. What remained was a black plastic ring secured by 3 spring mounted screws. After removing this I saw a green ring of copper with air bubbles on four corners (this is what controls the horn). This is connected to the car's electrical by a small black snap on link. I disconnected this and anything other connectors that were exposed. After cleaning them out and reconnecting, I plugged in the battery to test it out... lo and behold... it worked just fine! After putting everything back together my horn is finally back to where it was!

Hopefully others in this forum having the same problem will try this and get the same results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts