My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes one will go off sometimes they work fine.....sometimes like tonight they dont come on at all.... but a simple tap and they turn right on.... ......stupid compass

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
corrosion symptom. remove them and clean contacts and bulbs and put water proof grease on the contacts and bulb.

PS:Jeep cannot be submerged. Eh !!! Don't believe the commercials or ford rivers without consequences.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
corrosion symptom. remove them and clean contacts and bulbs and put water proof grease on the contacts and bulb.

PS:Jeep cannot be submerged. Eh !!! Don't believe the commercials or ford rivers without consequences.
well i changed the bulbs yesterday. the bulb filaments were both broken and they would touch and work.....led upgrade ;P also did the tail light bulbs and turn signal bulbs...however when i hit my turn signals the jeep goes ding..... and signals blink fast...;( changed turn stalks back to old bulbs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I don't know quite frankly what this uses for a flasher. It seems that everything that normal in most SUV's or cars is different here.

But here goes. LED lights need a good Electronic flasher. The type that is not current load sensitive and has the flashings sequence determined electronically. Otherwise a Loading resistor needs to be installed in parallel to the circuit. This simulates a higher current that the bulbs take and LED's don't.

Info here on Loading - www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/carbulb-notes.htm

Info on Electronic LED Flashers & Load resistor kits (Scroll down on this page for the section) - www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/tail-brake-turn.html

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The problem with that is you're not saving electrical load on you system in going the LED and the look is different depending on the bulb used. Filament bulbs offer 360 degree lighting while few if any LED's do. I won't go into its since there is tons of info and lighting options here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/1157.htm

The flasher and load solution are there as well and with reading you'll see. Making cuts and splices into factory wiring can be risky since corrosion can set in after a few years especially for us where road salt and sand it used up to half of the year. Pick you locations carefully and do your best to seal them afterwards. GE Silcone sealant is excellent although messy but once on stay there and plyable.

I am all for higher visibility (brighter lighting where practical). Many vehicles have far too small and dim rear lighting making them hard to see in poor weather. In bad weather you see them 1-2 sec before contact. My previous two vehicles had the red/silver truck reflective tap across the rear gate in RED-SILVER-RED, those three segments. I can assure you that it was far more visible than any light I could have put on the rear and was glaring to people following from far back. Built in reflectors in the OEM lens are a joke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts