My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Did the update solve your fading volume issue.

• Yes, the update worked, my volume level is no longer fading.

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • No, the update did not work, my volume level is still fading.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (please explain below)

Votes: 2 10.5%

The Update for 2022 Radio Volume Fading issue has resumed.

14K views 102 replies 34 participants last post by  JustinBailey 
#1 · (Edited)
@JeepCares has announced that the Uconnect radio updates have resumed. If you have received the update please let us know if it fixed your issue.

Hello everyone,

We're returning with a new update regarding the S26.17 over-the-air update.
  • For vehicles at the R17.99 software level, the national launch is starting, so you should expect to receive pop-up notifications for the update over the next week.

• For vehicles at the R17.98 software level, the launch is starting regionally within Stellantis North America Headquarters based in Michigan. From there, the national launch will follow in the upcoming weeks, but this timing is subject to change at any time for any reason.

• For vehicles that already received the S26.17 update and noticed a volume discrepancy that requires you to adjust the volume higher than normal, performing a factory reset on the radio will resolve the volume discrepancy.
    • Please keep in mind that performing a factory reset will delete all saved/stored information including but not limited to phone pairings, radio presets, navigation locations, driver profile settings, etc., so you may need to add them back if they disappear after the reset.
      • To perform a factory reset open the VEHICLE app --> scroll to SETTINGS --> scroll to FACTORY RESET
    • If you chose not to perform the factory reset, we expect the volume discrepancy to be resolved in the next over-the-air update, but we do not have an ETA on that update at this time.
Additionally, please feel welcome to reach out to us here or via private message for any questions or concerns and we are happy to assist to the best of our ability.

Steph
Jeep Cares
PLEASE NOTE: This thread is ONLY open to discuss the over the air update issued to fix the volume fading issue on 2022 Compasses.

If you have not yet received the update please limit your radio discussion to the following thread: A place to vent about the radio fading issue

Reactions: acevan90
#6 ·
Hello. We did not get the update but instead while driving today I got a message "Connect Box requires service. Please visit an authorized dealer." We have the 17.98 version. We were connected via WiFi from my phone at that time. I turned off WiFi and restarted the radio to see if it would go OTA, but got the same message on startup.

#30 ·
Hi amkohls,

We can clarify this a bit. If you're currently at the R17.98 software level, the national launch has not started yet since it is currently in the regional launch near the Stellantis US Headquarters. We'll continue to share further updates on our Uconnect 5 - S26.17 Over-The-Air Update thread once better timing is available for those at the R17.98 level. Also in that thread, we advised that a Wi-Fi connection/subscription is not required to receive any over-the-air update because the built-in cellular modem in your vehicle assists with that.

Steph
Jeep Cares

Reactions: Super Sooner 1974
#8 ·
I have a question. I didn't notice that I got the update, BUT yesterday I was in my car practically all day long (6 or 7 hours); and had the radio on for most of the time and for the first time in 5 months, the radio worked the ENTIRE time with no interruptions. But like I said, I didn't notice any update. So, my question is, is it possible I got the update and it updated itself? Because for the past few months now, this radio and phone would stop working 1 or 2 hours into driving the car. Yesterday, I drive for about 6 or 7 hours (on and off) and the radio and phone worked PERFECTLY the entire time. Any one know if this is possible that the update started to work without me having to do anything?

#11 ·
No, I did not. Do you know how I can do that?
In vehicle settings scroll down to the bottom look System Update and look for Version Information and just look and see what Ver. you have! It should say S26.17 unless it's not updated! But if you have been driving in Warmer weather with the AC on, and that would of also caused you not to have volume fading issues!

#13 ·
I got my update the other day (I had to click "accept") and finally drove far enough today to say that it works! Yes, my background went from dark to light (which I hate), but I was able to adjust it back. I have noticed that periodically when I restarted my car (several small trips today) that the screen would be blank. I'd have to hit some buttons and go back and forth and it would come back on. Hope this doesn't continue. As far as the volume being lower, Gabriel at Customer Care told me to do a system reset to get the volume correct:
  • Open the VEHICLE app --> scroll to SETTINGS --> scroll to FACTORY RESET
  • FACTORY RESET wipes saved user data from the radio and reverts everything back to factory default settings. (Presets, Favorites, Profiles, Paired Phones will be cleared)
It worked!

#14 ·
I got my update the other day (I had to click "accept") and finally drove far enough today to say that it works! Yes, my background went from dark to light (which I hate), but I was able to adjust it back. I have noticed that periodically when I restarted my car (several small trips today) that the screen would be blank. I'd have to hit some buttons and go back and forth and it would come back on. Hope this doesn't continue. As far as the volume being lower, Gabriel at Customer Care told me to do a system reset to get the volume correct:
  • Open the VEHICLE app --> scroll to SETTINGS --> scroll to FACTORY RESET
  • FACTORY RESET wipes saved user data from the radio and reverts everything back to factory default settings. (Presets, Favorites, Profiles, Paired Phones will be cleared)
It worked!
After doing the factory reset my normal volume range is 19-23! Make sure the equalizer is on and set the balance slightly towards the back to take advantage of the back door speakers and the rear subwoofer and you will start enjoying great sound again!

#31 ·
Hi Remy515,

If you need assistance verifying the current software level, you can select Apps > All Apps > Settings > System Information > Build Number on your touchscreen. If you have the R17.99 software level, the national launched and should arrive to your vehicle soon. If you have the R17.98 software level, the national launch hasn't started yet but we will provide further announcement once it does. Feel welcome to tag or message us if you have additional questions.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#32 ·
Hi fredgreenthal,

Current updates about the over-the-air update are available at the Uconnect 5 - S26.17 Over-the-air Software Update thread. If you are at the R17.99 level, you should receive the update soon. If you're at the R17.98 level, the national launch hasn't started yet, but we'll share further announcements at the provided link once available.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#29 ·
I have yet to receive the update (in Detroit). I emailed Jeep Cares with my case number asking when to expect the update and I immediately received an email back from them saying my case was closed on February 8 with no explanation. I then called them to ask why my case was closed but have not yet received the update. I was told that the OTA went out nationally on February 8 and that I should expect the update in 2- 3 weeks. My case was closed because the OTA was sent out nationally; not because my radio was updated successfully. They said if I don't receive the update in 2-3 weeks, to call back and they would take out another case number. I would have never known this had I not reached out to them. So I continue to wait. Ugh.

#34 ·
Steph, Yesterday, I saw a story that there was a New Update for my iPhone to download version 16.3.1, I know my iPhone is setup to receive automatic updates, but I always want to make sure my iPhone has been turned off and back on to make sure it will get the update successfully. I was then able to request the update instead of waiting twiddling my thumbs waiting, and not knowing when the update will show up. With Apple one of the largest Tech companies in the world as an example I can't believe that FCA's engineers can't make a small change in their code to let customers request the update on a schedule that works for them! Just think about how much happier Jeep customers will be and you'll be a hero for making this suggestion!

#39 ·
Hi Super Sooner 1974,

Your feedback is appreciated and seen by the proper teams! I can't speak to the business practices and resources that a tech company like Apple acquires compared to the automotive industry, but we certainly strive to provide a similar experience and will continue to work on improving our practices for our customers.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#40 ·
Hi milkeyswifey,

I'm sorry you haven't received the update yet! I'm not certain which software level you're at, but I'm available via PM to help locate this for you.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#49 ·
Okay, so my radio had the R17.98 version for months...The wife has been driving the Jeep recently, but told me that she thinks that something happened with the radio, so I go out to take a look. Keep in mind, I was on R17.98 and I have photos of that (taken a few weeks back).

Anyways, there indeed has been an update applied! Yay! Right? No...the update was not the one I wanted. For some reason, it was decided that my radio should get a different update first...to R17.99...you know, the version that has no ETA and will have to wait for "God knows how long" before we get any additional information.

How are they going to force my vehicle to update to R17.99 rather than pushing out the new S26.17 ? That is absolute BS. Now I am back into the 'hurry up and wait' phase of things.

#50 ·
Okay, so my radio had the R17.98 version for months...The wife has been driving the Jeep recently, but told me that she thinks that something happened with the radio, so I go out to take a look. Keep in mind, I was on R17.98 and I have photos of that (taken a few weeks back).

Anyways, there indeed has been an update applied! Yay! Right? No...the update was not the one I wanted. For some reason, it was decided that my radio should get a different update first...to R17.99...you know, the version that has no ETA and will have to wait for "God knows how long" before we get any additional information.

How are they going to force my vehicle to update to R17.99 rather than pushing out the new S26.17 ? That is absolute BS. Now I am back into the 'hurry up and wait' phase of things.
You've got that backward, it's 17.98 with no ETA, the update for 17.99 is currently rolling out. Maybe it has to do the updates in steps, 17.98 > 17.99 > 26.17.

#57 ·
Hi milkeyswifey,

We're glad it reached your vehicle! Have you tried the reset steps?

Steph
Jeep Cares

#54 ·
My radio updated today in Massachusetts successfully:

As luck would have it I was driving for 45 minutes and sure enough lost my volume. (26 degrees outside and my heat was on in the car). I got to my destination and was ready to shut off my car when the software update message popped up on my screen. I was hesitant to shut off my car during the update so I kept it running until completed, maybe about 15mins.

I got to test it out on my way back home - same 45-minute drive and same weather conditions. The radio was perfect - volume held steady the entire time. Hopefully this is the end of volume issues.

#55 ·
My radio updated today in Massachusetts successfully:

As luck would have it I was driving for 45 minutes and sure enough lost my volume. (26 degrees outside and my heat was on in the car). I got to my destination and was ready to shut off my car when the software update message popped up on my screen. I was hesitant to shut off my car during the update so I kept it running until completed, maybe about 15mins.

I got to test it out on my way back home - same 45-minute drive and same weather conditions. The radio was perfect - volume held steady the entire time. Hopefully this is the end of volume issues.
edit: the version update was S26.17

#77 ·
Hi milkeyswifey,

You can select VEHICLE --> SETTINGS --> FACTORY RESET on your touchscreen to do a factory reset. However, doing a factory reset will wipe any personal data/settings that was in place and will need to be set up again. If you need additional help or have more questions, feel welcome to PM us.

Steph
Jeep Cares

#60 ·
Yes, I suspect there are many members that joined to report the issue, but they are not coming back to report that they received the update fixing the issue.

#61 ·
All, I spoke with Jeep Wave on 02/22/2023 and they indicated that the update for R17.98 is going national this week. Good news, I received mine on 02/23.2023 after my radio volume died while driving. As I placed the vehicle in park I received the over the air update notification. I turned the vehicle off as I had planned to di this a little later in the day, but the update started to download automatically even with the vehicle off. When I returned to the vehicle 15 minutes later, it had already downloaded to 96%. I did take about another 5 minutes to complete the download, and then it automatically rebooted and indicated that the software had been successfully updated. This was a soft reboot, so all of my settings were saved. I did drive the vehicle for over an hour in temperatures around 20 degrees F, and the radio appeared to perform correctly without any volume issues. Hopefully good news for all. If you haven't received your update, maybe take your vehicle for a drive and you should receive the update. FYI, I did not initiate the update at all, it started on it's own as soon as the vehicle was placed into park and shut off.

#64 ·
I just got the update less than an hour ago as I was pulling out of a gas station of all things, haha. Thankfully, I was about 1 minute away from a big open parking lot where there are no trees or tall buildings. So, I pulled into there and the entire process finished in about 15 mins or so. So far, everything works, but I went straight home from the parking lot which is about 3 mins from my house. Tomorrow, I will be out for awhile with the car and it will definitely be tested. But, so far everything is good. I can't believe I finally got the update. I really didn't think I was going to get it at all, if not for a few more months, considering how long this has been going on for. I am very happy I finally got the update. Thank God! For those wondering, I am in Northern New Jersey, literally 5-10 mins from NYC.

#70 ·
Just got my update this morning from 17.99 to 26.12. So far so good. I’m in Hamilton, Ontario, a City near Toronto for those that don’t know. I only had to endure for 4 months with a radio, navigation system sound etc. that only worked for 30 to 40 minutes before dying. I feel bad for people who had the car for over a year with the problem. I think Jeep owes us something for our frustration. At this point not sure I will ever buy another Jeep or an FCA product for which I have supported. Satisfied for now