My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My name is Steph, I live in the middle of 22 acres of woods in Southern Ohio. I currently have a 2002 Liberty that I LOVE, but the miles are getting pretty high so its time to think about getting something new and the 2011 Compass looks interesting.

Right now I'm just doing some research to find out if the Compass will get up my driveway in the winter and be fun to drive the rest of the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Steph,

Based on my research over the past two years (I just bought my first Compass today) the Compass line up isn't as rugged as it's other Jeep siblings. Many specs and reviews say the Compass CAN do a limited amount of off-road usage (you being in the country, I'd assume you're doing a little bit of that) but you would want to stay away from doing anything you see in a typical Jeep commercial.

Get up your driveway? I sure hope so, otherwise I'm screwed. I live in Canada and if it can't do that for you, well then I certainly picked the wrong SUV.

Fun to drive? I've been testing driving these things for two years... They're INCREDIBLY fun to drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding!
My house is about halfway up a ridge, so it makes for an interesting adventure in the snow :) I've had a handful of times in the last 5 years that my v6 Liberty has not been able to get up the hill, and my husband's V8 Silverado has had one time where it wouldnt come up. I'm afraid I'm going to buy something that wont come up the hill, and I'm pretty sure a dealer wont let me make a 40 mile round trip test drive, so I definitely appreciate the input! :)

I LOVE hearing that it's fun to drive! My Liberty is nice, but I wouldn't call it "fun".

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your husbands truck can't make it up, you'll want a 4X4 Compass, if you get a compass. If the truck has issues, a 2WD compass won't help much, I don't believe.

But yeah, barring the extreme winter weather, driving these things in the summer is a lot of fun. Again, I've only ever been able to test drive a handful from the dealership and my friend's compass, but I've put enough kilometers on them to know that it's my choice for an SUV at the present time.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wouldn't image my Compass (4x4) would go anywhere a Liberty could not.
Better would be something from Land Rover.
They really DO go anywhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not even LOOKING at a 2WD, just the 4X4 versions.

A Land Rover might be nice, but it's not American, and it's sooo far out of my price range :) The price range being the bigger issue in this case! Otherwise I'd just bite the bullet and order a fully loaded 4X4 Wrangler Unlimited.

Do you think your Compass (4X4 w/ Freedom Drive II) can go anywhere a Liberty 4X4 CAN go? That's sort of what I'm wondering.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wrangler

Mmmmm . . . .the Wrangler, topped out. . . .unlimited . . . my choice.
drool, drool.
So far as keeping up with the Liberty.
Me, with my 5-speed, I feel could at least keep up with you, but you have better clearance, and could probable go farther on bad roads.
You are looking at the 2011 - which I have only looked at on www.Jeep.com, but think the Liberty is the better bet, keep running it and save up for he Wrangler.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Hey there Steph and welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us! I honestly didn't choose the 4x4 Compass because I really didn't need it, have my XJ for that lol, but from what I've read on here and other places, the 4WD Compass is just as capable. I, too, would love a Rubicon Unlimited! Like i2 said, you have better clearance in your Liberty, but I think the 2011 Compass looks awesome, but good luck with your purchase! Be sure to keep us posted and I hope you enjoy the site! :)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went to the 2011 Detroit Auto show, sat in the new Compass.
Yes its nice, but no real HUGE upgrade in terms of inside comfort.

If you can look past the new steering wheel and soft-ish touch pannels, then get a 2009 or 2010 for a HELL of a lot cheaper than a new 2011!

Just what I would do....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regarding the differences in the 2010 (or earlier) models and the 2011, isnt the 4x4 in the 2011 supposed to be SIGNIFICANTLY better in the 2011? I thought that was a major change in the 2011. Everything I've read about the earlier models indicates that they dont have true 4x4 abilities??

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in Pittsburgh, PA and have a long sloping driveway. If I am not on top of removing the snow, my driveway quickly transforms into a plethora of snow and ice that only a 4x4 can traverse. I just bought a loaded '11 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 with "only" Freedom Drive I. So far, even in AWD mode (hubs not locked in to true 4x4), the Compass can handle the driveway without any problems. It is a great vehicle.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrat on your purchase........I like when you say only Freedom Drive..........I say bring it on..............this is NOT an off road vehicule but handles itself pretty good in some heavy stuff.

Glad you found us, tell us more !

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well it may get up the hill. Maybe its too steep.
You need something with true all wheel drive. Not standard in Jeep. 4x4 is really 2WD (1 front & 1 back wheel). Whether you need lower gears is difficult to say.

You may want to look a Suburu. There are interesting threads on a Jeep site on this point.

From a reliability/durability point. I honestly would have to say NO. Look elseware I am already getting into a lurch even though I still have warranty. Defect are considered normal. Hence they won't address them.

www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533903

There is a link for this in post #42 of the thread. But this is a MUST SEE!
www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533903&page=3

Look at that Youtube video.

Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, how do I find out if my Liberty has true 4x4 or not? It gets up my hill fine, so now I'm curious.... for pete's sake if they're going to advertise something as 4x4 they should make it a darn 4x4 :mad:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
If and if the Saleman is knowledgable. It would have to have an option (LSD or Equivalent). This is limited Slip Differential. I have Grand Cherokee and they don't have it either. This is typically in the rear axle (give it 2 wheel drive). I one wheel breaks traction on that axle more power is sent to the other wheel that has traction or more (an after market term is LOCKERS).

This gives you a 3 wheel drive vehicle since the front is still open. Power is sent to the wheel slipping, yes the one that slips and never get you going.

Drive into some deep snow where you know you'll not get through in 4wd. Once stuck going forwards spin the wheels a bit and then get out and have a look. You'll see one wheel in the back was spinning and one in the front only. Never all four trying to drive you forward. That's why many AWD's do a better job some transfer more power to there alternate axle wheel and/or other axle. Some as in the video have no rear thrust like the CRV. Ask for documents provide the claims of limited slip or whatever they may call it. GM use to put Posi-trac in their vehicles as an option.

I am sure others will pipe up on this. If getting stuck is keeping you from getting up the hill then. This is crucial. You could bite the bullet and upgrade you Liberties diffs to a better type. Then save your money. I have been stuck trying to pull a small trailer because of this stupid design in a JEEP no less.

On another note if the dealer won't let you take if for a good ride. You might be better servered by renting a prospect vehicle and giving it a good go checking it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the 2011 compass come with the freedome 2 offroad pack making it legit trail rated.... watched a thing last night on youtube ...20min vid of ceo/pres of jeep at detroit auto show talkin bout new compass and all the features

·
Registered
14 Posts
the 2011 compass come with the freedom 2 offroad pack making it legit trail rated.... watched a thing last night on youtube ...20min vid of ceo/pres of jeep at detroit auto show talkin bout new compass and all the features
And Freedom one is the exact same as Freedom two minus tow hooks, an extra inch of ground clearance, skid plates, and hill descent control.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
CVT don't coast and have an engaged engine drag. There must be some electric clutch engaging it to the engine. What that hill descent gives is likely little more then putting it 1st position manually. I may try that on a good grade one day.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts