My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I just wanted to hear everybodys thoughts on oversized filters (purely curiosity) and if you do oversize what is the product number.

I have an 07 by the way

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oversized filter for what exactly? Never heard of such a thing to be honest. Have always got the filter that fits my Air box and Engine.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
like oil filter wise
I am using Wix 57045 which is a longer version of the OEM size. There are bigger alternatives as well but. It gives more collection capacity before the bypass has to open (not good). You still need to do regular oil changes.

I use an oversized filter in my GC as well and in both cases more oil is needed each oil change.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
There are 51372 & 57899 neither of which I've tried. You can see the differences in size on Wix spec's but other than cost as some filter sizes are cheaper going much larger gains little and requires more oil. I pretty well use 5L with the filter I am using now.

You should not use these filters as an excuse to not change your oil. The proper intervals should not be exceeded. Filters don't make the oil any better so they last longer. They remove harmful particles from engine damage and wear.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Yeah I see a huge difference. My thinking is that using the one I am is already longer by about an inch or so offering more filtering. Having a filter at double or tripple the capacity does not exclude changing the oil at a longer interval. It only gives you the capacity to hold more contaminant particles in the filter. Oil still need to be changed. Since I've used Synthetic oil at the moment I am letting it run with the bigger filter to the alert message but not longer. The engineers pre-determined this as needed point to change without synthetic oil and standard filter. Pushing it further is not worth the risk and if the engine needs more than 5L its a problem for oil changes. At the moment it needs 5L or extremely close so I am good the way it is.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah I see a huge difference. My thinking is that using the one I am is already longer by about an inch or so offering more filtering. Having a filter at double or tripple the capacity does not exclude changing the oil at a longer interval. It only gives you the capacity to hold more contaminant particles in the filter. Oil still need to be changed. Since I've used Synthetic oil at the moment I am letting it run with the bigger filter to the alert message but not longer. The engineers pre-determined this as needed point to change without synthetic oil and standard filter. Pushing it further is not worth the risk and if the engine needs more than 5L its a problem for oil changes. At the moment it needs 5L or extremely close so I am good the way it is.
5000km oil change with synthetic 5W30. Oil for an engine it's like blood for human it's better to keep it clean.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I agree that is why I don't push it beyond spec's and my last time the alert came on around 5900km. If I was on dino oil I would have changed it by then already. I do stick to the OEM spec of 5W20 however. I am not certain the heavier grade you use it helping the engine and may also push oil pressures higher and if too high may damage seals.

·
Registered
265 Posts
5W20 it's only for fuel economy. 5W30 better protection during summer at least.

BTW you know why our jeep use ATF-4? I will tell you, to save money like this the dealer keep one oil in the garage for any tranny. I got some friends in SRT Engineer... Same for no synthetic fluid for diff... lol Now do what you want but I got 100% synthetic Redline 75w90 in my diff and manuel tranny fluid Redline MT-90 trans fluid and my jeep did not explode yet.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Changed today

Well enough waiting for the Change Oil light to come on this time. I did the filter 57045 and 5L of Synthetic oil to bring it to the full line. Turns out it had 6000km on the last synthetic oil I put in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts