My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Jeep 2018 trail hawk has 92000 on it I think we have replaced 6 away bar links if you can believe it due to clunking noises turning and going over bumps . Just had this baby all inspected and four sway bar front and rear installed but of course I got a noise still . This noise is different very random happens when I’m going slow or turning slow approaching a stop light for example . It’s a loud kind of popping sound as if I drove over something very noticeable it actually startles you . I don’t know what this could be while going slow . Someone mentioned it could be avoiding if you put it on 4wd lock but that sounds crazy to me . Any thoughts or opinions would be welcomed .

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Too vague for me to guess, can you tell what end of the car its coming from? Do you have something like a GoPro you might be able to capture the sound on? Sometimes I get a thud when my drivetrain goes into AWD, an occasional ping from the rear diff from something being under torsion and released, and I also get hard 4th -> 5th gear shifts sometimes. None of it is anything I worry about, done it all since new.

If yours is just now starting to do this and you are sure it wasn't doing it the first 100k miles... its probably worth digging into. If its kinda always done it like mine, not sure I would worry much until it actually fails.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too vague for me to guess, can you tell what end of the car its coming from? Do you have something like a GoPro you might be able to capture the sound on? Sometimes I get a thud when my drivetrain goes into AWD, an occasional ping from the rear diff from something being under torsion and released, and I also get hard 4th -> 5th gear shifts sometimes. None of it is anything I worry about, done it all since new.

If yours is just now starting to do this and you are sure it wasn't doing it the first 100k miles... its probably worth digging into. If its kinda always done it like mine, not sure I would worry much until it actually fails.
Seems like rear Center of the vehicle, it’s like loud pop I use to hear kind of a similar sound but that was the sway bar going around s sharp turns . This happens randomly at slower speeds . It actually startles you it did not always do this . But I had a good mechanic inspect this and fix the sway bar problem two weeks ago . It’s very disheartening to hear a sound like that . To me it seems like a transmission glitch ? Appreciate any help from you guys !

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My rear diff definitely gives a metallic "pop" sound once in a while around town, something clicking in or out in the rotating parts of the rear diff or the teeth meshing in the PTU, not sure. Mine only does it once a week at the most it seems like, maybe every couple weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m gonna try to get footage it’s random today more often than not , that sounds kind of like what the sound would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My rear diff definitely gives a metallic "pop" sound once in a while around town, something clicking in or out in the rotating parts of the rear diff or the teeth meshing in the PTU, not sure. Mine only does it once a week at the most it seems like, maybe every couple weeks.
I’m gonna try to get footage it’s random today more often than not , that sounds kind of like what the sound would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a perfect video recorded where you could hear the sound . It’s only letting me post photos am I unable to post a video !?

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
You have to make a certain number of posts before you can post a link or a video I think it is 5 so you may be able to now. The reason for that rule is to prevent spammers from posting links and videos. You seem legit. Go ahead and try again. If no go I'll reach out the administrator (caveat, administrator doesn't always respond quickly).

FWIW, my 2019 Compass has a persistent but irregular thudding on bumpy roads such as mine. Mechanic friend checked out the front end at the last oil change and everything was solid. I'm starting to think it's closer to the passenger compartment or even under my feet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

You have to make a certain number of posts before you can post a link or a video I think it is 5 so you may be able to now. The reason for that rule is to prevent spammers from posting links and videos. You seem legit. Go ahead and try again. If no go I'll reach out the administrator (caveat, administrator doesn't always respond quickly).

FWIW, my 2019 Compass has a persistent but irregular thudding on bumpy roads such as mine. Mechanic friend checked out the front end at the last oil change and everything was solid. I'm starting to think it's closer to the passenger compartment or even under my feet.

[/QUOTE
thank you for trying to help I have no problem posting a photo but I want to load my video to see if anyone can else had heard this thud before it may just be slipping gears cause that pop .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You might have to upload to like Youtube or something else and then link it here, not sure if this forum supports videos directly, just linking them from other places like youtube maybe(?)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Ok friends, he sent me the video and I put it onto youtube quick so other ears can see what they make of it. I have never heard my compass make a sound quite like that I don't think?

jpk did you say this happens after you make a slow turn and straighten out usually or will it also happen just from slowing down going straight? (not turning)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok friends, he sent me the video and I put it onto youtube quick so other ears can see what they make of it. I have never heard my compass make a sound quite like that I don't think?

jpk did you say this happens after you make a slow turn and straighten out usually or will it also happen just from slowing down going straight? (not turning)

You might have to upload to like Youtube or something else and then link it here, not sure if this forum supports videos directly, just linking them from other places like youtube maybe(?)
ya it happens randomly is those situations and typically at low speeds gearing down . Very very odd hoping someone has a clue of what it could maybe be ? But the Ann’s to Andrew

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yeah I just can't think of what that could be. My Compass occasionally does shifts and AWD things that can be heard and are a bit un-graceful but never anything as hard and loud as that. There are so many possibilities... including the possibility that it is suspension-related and your mechanic simply failed to find the cause, plus it could be something in the AWD locking in or out ungracefully, loose sub-frame, bad transmission shift, etc etc.

Another mechanic or the dealership will probably have to investigate deeper, I don't know if we'll get to the bottom of it just from listening to it online. Someone with an electronic stethoscope kit like this might be able to narrow it down:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I rented a TH last week and it had a noticeable similar slow speed thud whenever I was starting out quickly and then abruptly letting off the gas. Felt like to me the 9 speed transmission was going from a higher gear to a low gear and was the cause.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts