My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from NJ! Has anyone carried a canoe on their Compass Latitude? Where are the front tie down points?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I don't know about the 1st gen compass but I'm sure its in the same boat as the 2nd gen, either way the roofs of these cars are TINY and VERY SHORT. You put some crossbars on they end up being like 2.5 feet apart, that is not much to balance a long item on such as a canoe, I think you might have a hard time with that. At least on a trailhawk there are tow hooks you can try to attach to in the front and if you have the towing receiver you could probably attach to where trailer chains go but on a 2nd gen latitude there is going to be nothing up front to attach straps to, and if you don't have a tow pack you won't have any good points in the rear either, and there is probably no way balancing a however-many-feet-long canoe on a couple of cross-rails about 2 feet apart is going to end well if you try to get out on the highway... Sounds more like a job for a trailer if you can use that option instead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sherpak Seattle Sports Hood Loops (Pair) - Under Hood Anchor Point for Tie Amazon.com: Sherpak Seattle Sports Hood Loops (Pair) - Under Hood Anchor Point for Tie: Sports & Outdoors
Hi from NJ! Has anyone carried a canoe on their Compass Latitude? Where are the front tie down points?
I went with a set like this for my kayaks.

Sherpak Seattle Sports Hood Loops (Pair) - Under Hood Anchor Point for Tie Amazon.com: Sherpak Seattle Sports Hood Loops (Pair) - Under Hood Anchor Point for Tie: Sports & Outdoors

Seattle Sports Sherpak Quick Loops - Fast Kayak and Canoe Tie Down Anchor Straps for Car Hoods and Trunks Amazon.com : Seattle Sports Sherpak Quick Loops - Fast Kayak and Canoe Tie Down Anchor Straps for Car Hoods and Trunks : Boat Trailer Tie Downs : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about the 1st gen compass but I'm sure its in the same boat as the 2nd gen, either way the roofs of these cars are TINY and VERY SHORT. You put some crossbars on they end up being like 2.5 feet apart, that is not much to balance a long item on such as a canoe, I think you might have a hard time with that. At least on a trailhawk there are tow hooks you can try to attach to in the front and if you have the towing receiver you could probably attach to where trailer chains go but on a 2nd gen latitude there is going to be nothing up front to attach straps to, and if you don't have a tow pack you won't have any good points in the rear either, and there is probably no way balancing a however-many-feet-long canoe on a couple of cross-rails about 2 feet apart is going to end well if you try to get out on the highway... Sounds more like a job for a trailer if you can use that option instead.
Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I went with a set like this for my kayaks.

Seattle Sports Sherpak Quick Loops - Fast Kayak and Canoe Tie Down Anchor Straps for Car Hoods and Trunks Amazon.com : Seattle Sports Sherpak Quick Loops - Fast Kayak and Canoe Tie Down Anchor Straps for Car Hoods and Trunks : Boat Trailer Tie Downs : Sports & Outdoors
Thank You!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts