My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on what would be the best tires to pickup for my 2012 Jeep Compass 4x4 North Edition. I currently have the Wrangler SR-A AT tires that came with the rig when I purchased it, but they are nearing the end of their life.

I'm looking to pick up a set that I could ideally use all year around, so it must be able to handle snowy wet winters. I'm willing to spend a little money if it lets me avoid buying winter tires.

Any suggestions? Is it possible to go up in size?

·
Registered
55 Posts
what is the size of your wheels?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently 17". Tires on the rig are 215/65R17.

I guess I'm also not against buying new rims either if it means getting a good set of tires that look good and handle year round driving.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Currently 17". Tires on the rig are 215/65R17.

I guess I'm also not against buying new rims either if it means getting a good set of tires that look good and handle year round driving.
Strange My plan was to get your size! why you didn't like it?

I think without spacers you can chose wider 225/65R17, More than that I think it well add load on the engine and every thing else hmm

·
Registered
55 Posts
I actually don't mind the size, Im just looking for suggestions based on what others might be using.
I think the famous size is 225/65/17 but I don't know if it adds extra load or not

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You'd want rubber that is truly winter certified. They had the Mountain Snowflake symbol on them. There are more and more 4 season tires (NOT All Season types, they typically useless in the winter, look at the tread, no lugs etc) which are designed to work well in snow and the very cold. Hankook Optimo 4S is one but I have not tried them. I did use Nokian on my Compass but they are badly designed. Rubber wears wrong and get extremely noisy. I was told my alignment was causing this numerous times so I eventually took it in to my Jeep dealer and paid their rate for a 4 wheel alignment. Well I was told it was only slightly off and not causing any problem. Driving was never a problem. So the tires are bad and expensive. I have used previous Nokian's but these new style as in my sig are worthless. Nokian support is bad and non existent in Canada. So I am done with Nokian on 3 of the family 4x4's. So don't waste your money on them look elsewhere.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would go too with Michelin Defender or BFG All Terrain KO for good traction on snow. But looking at Nitto Terra Grappler features, its quiet on highway yet great on terrain and moderate snow/wet.
What excites me is the incoming BGF KO2 I think this November.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am currently running Sumitomo Touring LS on my 2010 Latitude. They are really good in the snow and quiet on the road. I never heard of them before I bought them, but I am satisfied with the tires. For more info look them up on tirerack.com

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
Easiest thing to do is grab a set of the 16" steel wheels (painted silver) that patriots comes with and throw a dedicated winter tire on those wheels.

215/70/16 works

225/70/16 also works as well.

Here is the above mentioned wheels (I painted them black) on my FDII Compass, the tires were 225/75/16 and they rubbed a bit

·
Registered
286 Posts
u say 225/70/16 would rub I ordred 235/70/16 new rims and tires I also got 1.50 spacers would u fore amy problems with that set up also I have the 2.5 inch lift on it

·
Super Moderator
530 Posts
225/70/16 isn't much larger than stock and shouldn't rub but I haven't personally tested it out. With 235/70/16 and your spacers you should be totally fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts