My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Touchy brakes....

14K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  mikes 
#1 ·
We just bought a 2019 Jeep Compass and it seems like the brakes are super touchy. When I push the brakes I've gotta be super careful and lightly ease into them or it feels like I'm going to go through the windshield. It also seems like it's only like this at lower speeds, 30 mph or less. Is this normal and I need to get used to it or does something need adjusted?

#4 ·
I was guessing that but thought I'd ask. Actually what we were driving before the Compass is a 2003 Jeep Liberty that got all new calipers, rotors and pads last summer. The brakes were perfect and totally predictable. We've also still got a 2012 Dodge Nitro R/T and a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 pickup. These also have totally predictable brakes. I'm guessing that the Compass has electric brake boost and our other Chrysler products still have vacuum boost. Thanks for the input Eugene@2018 and Jasmine.

#5 ·
The brakes are unusually touchy in my opinion. In fact, I remember when I took the initial test drive of one, the salesperson even said to be careful of the brakes because they take some getting used to. I think they do this to give you the impression that it stops better than it actually does by putting most of the brake force on the initial application. It's also been mentioned on several video reviews I've seen.

IMO though, this is one of the things that makes the Compass Trailhawk less capable off-road. It is very difficult to modulate the brakes at low speed.

#12 ·
touchy cold brake, unresponsive throttle= normal for us

btw, anyone notice it's rather hard to line up the car straight when turning into a parking spot? I find that i'm always slanted to the left. then i noticed the hood line and side quarter panel forms a continuous curve, making it harder to judge both distance and angles

#17 ·
So, the sway bar links were clunking. Replaced those, and did pads all around while in there. The OEMs in the front were made by ITT, and had a friction grade of GG (this grade used to be pretty rare, mostly used for track and high performance, which Compasses are not). I used PowerStop 17-1811 and 17-2081, which have a bit less friction, grade FF. "Grabbiness" is gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.