My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2019 Jeep Compass and it seems like the brakes are super touchy. When I push the brakes I've gotta be super careful and lightly ease into them or it feels like I'm going to go through the windshield. It also seems like it's only like this at lower speeds, 30 mph or less. Is this normal and I need to get used to it or does something need adjusted?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the site! Glad to have you.

As for touchy brakes, it's better than the opposite. I agree with what [email protected] said. The brakes on whatever you were driving before were probably getting old and worn.
Welcome to the site! Glad to have you.

As for touchy brakes, it's better than the opposite. I agree with what [email protected] said. The brakes on whatever you were driving before were probably getting old and worn.
I was guessing that but thought I'd ask. Actually what we were driving before the Compass is a 2003 Jeep Liberty that got all new calipers, rotors and pads last summer. The brakes were perfect and totally predictable. We've also still got a 2012 Dodge Nitro R/T and a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 pickup. These also have totally predictable brakes. I'm guessing that the Compass has electric brake boost and our other Chrysler products still have vacuum boost. Thanks for the input [email protected] and Jasmine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The brakes are unusually touchy in my opinion. In fact, I remember when I took the initial test drive of one, the salesperson even said to be careful of the brakes because they take some getting used to. I think they do this to give you the impression that it stops better than it actually does by putting most of the brake force on the initial application. It's also been mentioned on several video reviews I've seen.

IMO though, this is one of the things that makes the Compass Trailhawk less capable off-road. It is very difficult to modulate the brakes at low speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yup. Brakes are a bit touchy. Sort of like the steering is very sensitive. You get used to it though and learn to appreciate its attentiveness. Way better than a horribly sloppy and loose Chevy. IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts