My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a Hayman Reese class IV tow hitch fitted to my 2018 Trailhawk today. I couldn't find any photos of the hitch prior to having it installed so I didn't really know what I was getting, but I'm pretty happy with the final product. The US-spec genuine hitch is definitely neater and maintains better rear clearance, but that's not an option in Australia.

Sadly I lost the rear tow hook, but that's a small trade off for 1,500kg (3,300lb) rated towing capacity. Another search tonight found some photos of the genuine tow hitch sold in Australia, which appears to keep the tow hook (red Trailhawk below). I couldn't find any pictures of this when I ordered my hitch, but I have more trust in ARB than the local dealership anyway, so I'm still glad I went with the Hayman Reese hitch.

Hopefully these pictures might show up in someone else's search one day so they'll know what the different options look like and can make more of an informed decision.

Hayman Reese:

Jeep / Mopar:

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
244 Posts
I was told years ago that towing with the ball and hitch it that set-up was dangerous and you should not tow. IDK but have never tried it. Just curious if you had any issues or if anyone else has heard that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told years ago that towing with the ball and hitch it that set-up was dangerous and you should not tow. IDK but have never tried it. Just curious if you had any issues or if anyone else has heard that.
As in rise rather than drop? Depends on whether the trailer ball mount is designed for a particular orientation. 90° tongues are usually fine in either orientation as the forces on the ball mount are essentially the same, and angled tongues may be designed for only one particular orientation or both. Approved ball weight might be different for different orientations also. Best to check with the manufacturer of your hitch/ball mount.

Both of these hitches are designed for the tongue to be in a rise position as standard, and would easily handle much more than the 1,500kg trailer weight and 150kg ball weight that the Compass is rated to. The trailer drawbar would just about drag on the road if they were in a drop position. The Hayman Reese trailer ball mount is the same used on other vehicles with 3,500kg towing capacities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts