My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2012 jeep compass latitude and wanted to buy a camper for the jeep to be able to haul. I understand that the towing capabilities are low on my vehicle, so I was wondering if I upgrade the
brakes, axles, suspension, radiator and put a class 3 hitch/and or weight distributing hitch on it would it make it able to pull more weight and if so how much?

· Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
869 Posts
Welcome to Compass. Do a search for some info. But if you are doing all those upgrades. Might consider getting something that will pull better and it depends on the weight of what you pull.

· Administrator
2,389 Posts
First off, welcome to the site! I'm glad you're here. I hope we can save you some pain. A Compass is not a good tow vehicle. I have a 5-spd Patriot (sibling to the 1st gen Compass) and I pull very little weight and not very often, i.e. an open trailer with a few pieces of furniture maybe 50-100 miles tops, or my lawn tractor to the repair shop (10 miles) -- and that only a few times per year. Even with a tow package the capacity is only 1800 lbs, and that includes passengers and luggage in the vehicle itself. A couple adults, a couple kids, plus luggage and you're half way there. I don't think you'll find many trailers that weigh less than 900 lbs.

If you have the CVT, be advised of a number of things:
  1. The CVT is fragile, and probably generates most of the serious complaints on this site.
  2. One of the reasons the CVT is regarded as troublesome is that the fluid and filters(2) should be changed at least every 50,000 miles. The owners manual says 120,000 miles and that is wa-a-ay too long to wait. If you've never had this done, your CVT is probably on borrowed time anyway.
  3. If you still want to tow, definitely get a transmission cooler.
Finally, consider my first sentence again. Look around, you won't see many Compasses towing anything. I'm with @BooMan 62, you should probably put the money into a more appropriate vehicle for towing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts