My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question # 1: I recently bought a 2010 Compass 2.4L auto. I didnt buy the towing option. Here is my question. I plan on towing my skiff which weighs about 650lb total. The trailer weighs 250lb but is real heavy at the tongue. I cant slide the axle back on the trailer because its welded. So for a total B.M.T.G of approx 1,000 lbs I will be towing. What is the safe towing weight for my car?

Question # 2: What is the cost apprx to have the dealer install the extra cooler for towing? Do you think it is needed?

Qusetion #3: Any suggestions on a reasonable price complete towing hitch?

All replies would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
1) your tow capacity without the engine cooler is 1,000 lbs, which is what you will be towing. while it is capable, i would personally go with the cooler just to be on the safe side

2) the cost will vary, but as i stated above, i think it is worth it. chrysler just lowered the price on all of their tow equipment in the last few months, so i jumped on it. the cooling kit used to be almost $350

3) this depends on what you want. i bought the factory hitch which requires the rear bumper to be trimmed. it is a class 2 (1 1/4") hitch. there are certainly aftermarket companies that do not require cutting (check etrailer.com) and you have the option to get a class 3 (2") hitch. keep in mind that your maximum tow capacity is only 2,000 lbs, which is also the max capacity of a class 2 hitch, so getting a class 3 won't let you tow more, it will only give you more freedom with what you can put back there, as most accessories (bike racks, baskets, etc) are class 3.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts