My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a question about the TPMS unit in the tires. I'm looking at getting a set of used tires that are currently on jeep rims and I'm wondering if they will be able to be reprogrammed to my 2011 compass or do I have to take them in to have them remounted with new ones. If they can't, is there a way to disable the notification on the dash board as I'm not looking to spend that much right now, these are just to get me through this summer and to get me the extra set of rims. And if they can, I believe I just have to drive for a bit to program them so is a 25km drive long enough? Or do I have to try and go for a longer one?

· Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, I have a question about the TPMS unit in the tires. I'm looking at getting a set of used tires that are currently on jeep rims and I'm wondering if they will be able to be reprogrammed to my 2011 compass or do I have to take them in to have them remounted with new ones. If they can't, is there a way to disable the notification on the dash board as I'm not looking to spend that much right now, these are just to get me through this summer and to get me the extra set of rims. And if they can, I believe I just have to drive for a bit to program them so is a 25km drive long enough? Or do I have to try and go for a longer one?
Hi...did you fix this.i have the same issue. Please let me know.

· Administrator
2,476 Posts
I bought a set of aftermarket mounted tires for my Patriot. I never gave TPMS a thought. I installed them myself and they worked immediately IIRC. I wouldn't have been surprised if it took a few miles for the warning to go away -- that usually happens when I change over tires in the Spring and Fall.

· Registered
8 Posts
I bought a set of aftermarket mounted tires for my Patriot. I never gave TPMS a thought. I installed them myself and they worked immediately IIRC. I wouldn't have been surprised if it took a few miles for the warning to go away -- that usually happens when I change over tires in the Spring and Fall.
Hi Jasmine...thank you.i never change my tyres...it just happened all of a sudden...so there is no reset button? Do I have tobgetb4 new sensors?

· Administrator
2,476 Posts
I don't believe so. When new tires are installed it is not unusual to get the low pressure warning at first, but the system will normally reset itself in a couple miles -- that reset is done automatically. There is no manual reset for the TPMS that I know of.

· Registered
82 Posts
Well, I agree with that if one is replacing a tire and it goes back on the vehicle in the same position that it came from. However, if one is rotating tires the sensors will need a relearn for position change. At least that is my experience. YMMV:)

· Registered
3 Posts
I rotate my tires and switch to snow tires with different rims and different sensors. Just have to drive appropriate speed and distance to complete relearning process. No tools or programming needed.

2016 jeep compass North Sport 4x4 (Canadian)

· Administrator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
449 Posts
Well, I agree with that if one is replacing a tire and it goes back on the vehicle in the same position that it came from. However, if one is rotating tires the sensors will need a relearn for position change. At least that is my experience. YMMV:)
With Stellantis vehicles the system will self-learn the sensors and sensor positions after a short drive.

· Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
220 Posts
My info was that the system needs to be told which corner each sensor is on.
And other system are using the sensors and their position, not just for TPMS.

· Registered
381 Posts
My info was that the system needs to be told which corner each sensor is on.
And other system are using the sensors and their position, not just for TPMS.
Maybe that is so in European countries but not in North America.
The system will self-learn the sensors and sensor positions within a few miles.
Has been that way for years.

· Registered
381 Posts
The TPM system consists of tire pressure monitoring sensors attached to each road wheel through the valve stem mounting hole, a wireless control module (WCM) three wheel sensor transponders located in three of the four wheel wells, an electronic display, and an indicator lamp.

The receiver circuit for the TPM system is integrated into the WCM. Commonly referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM), the WCM also includes the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) receiver and the Sentry Key Immobilizer (SKIM) receiver. All three receivers share a number of common components. The WCM decodes the RF signals transmitted by each of the vehicle’s tire pressure sensors. The decoded information is used to determine if "warning" or "fault" conditions exist within the TPM system.

Upon detection of a warning or fault condition, the WCM will send a request to the module that controls the indicator lamp (and the text display if equipped with the Premium system) via the vehicle bus system to illuminate or flash the indicator lamp. Also, upon detection of a warning or fault condition, the electronic display will send a request to sound the "chime". A chime will only be requested once per ignition cycle per warning or fault condition detected.

The WCM will store all warning and fault conditions, placard pressure values and low-pressure threshold values (lamp ON and OFF) in memory that can be accessed through diagnostic communication. If new sensors are introduced to the vehicle, the data stored for the sensor being replaced will be deleted.

The WCM will store all wheel sensor ID’s and locations and faults in memory that can be accessed through diagnostic communication. All other data values transmitted from each active wheel sensor (not the spare tire) shall be stored in the WCM memory.

The WCM automatically learns and stores the sensors’s ID while driving “within 10 minutes continuously above 15 mph (24 km/h)” after a sensor has been replaced. The learning sequence will initiate when the vehicle has been stopped for more then 20 minutes.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nev

· Registered
Compass Trailhawk 4Xe
220 Posts
Looks like my 2017 Renegade needed OBD learning whilst my Compass doesn't:

Jeep Compass 2022
Relearn Type: Drive

Jeep Renegade 2017
Relearn Type: OBD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts