My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post so i hope im doing this correctly but today as i was driving home from work i has my "BAS" and traction lights come on randomly and i checked my owners manual to find that saying it is indicating a problem with either of those 2 systems...its a 2007 compass 4x4 sport and i was wondering if anyone else has this problem...this car i bought from the dealers about a week ago and i havent even gone through a tank of gas so im gonna take it back so hopefully they can fix it but until then any idea or similar problems? any help would be appriciated thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome new owner

Welcome . . . we are welcoming happily new owners of previously owned vehicles . . . now we will start to see how the Compass really does stand up.
While it is great to get members raving about how much they are enjoying their brand new Jeeps, it will be interesting as we get the impressions of new owners of cars with mileage and inherent troubles.
I am sure one of our knowledgeable contributors will have an insight to your query. . again welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get the problem fixed?

so what is the problem and how do they fix it.

Is this something i can do on my own?

I have a 07 compass and the 4x4 light comes on while driving for no reason. ?
thanks
jake

·
Registered
176 Posts
Aha...There are tricks to fix some of the lights that come on for no reason on models without EVIC.. Eg if your 4wd light is staying on all the time, try holding the lever up for about 5-10 seconds, and it should go off.Now, if it comes back on soon you know you have a problem with your 4wd. Same goes for ABS i think, try holding the ESP button down and see if that fixes it...Again, if it comes back on soon (while driving etc) then you probably have a problem there!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys the light went of the next day the book said it was a problem with either the BAS system or the traction system but since the lights went off the book said not to worry about it so i havent and havent had any trouble with it since then. Thanks for all your posts i feel bad because i totally forgot this happened :-( but thank you for all the help!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
When a wheel slip/spin is detected the rear 4x4 is automatically engaged as needed. I bought my 09 used and have not had it out on slippery surfaces yet. It may have spun a bit up front(driving wheels) and engaged the rear wheel drive(as it suppose to do) indicating that slippery road symbol on the dash when it does so that you don't get too carried away with your driving.

I know a friend with a Honda Ridgeline which has the same type of system. the manaul explains what the specific indicators mean. You can of course ask the service people at a dealer as well for further clarification.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have a 4x4 2.5 2008 north cvt compass. the owner manual states if you hold the esp button for five seconds with engine running in park...it would turn that system off completely, and it would say ESP off where the odometer is displaysed...mine doesn't do anything when i hold the button down...it just toggles the slippery road symbol off and on...i also have the TPMS on my compass...but i don't have the second display in my dash...so does the system indicate which tire is low? or do we have to check each one?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
As per the manual and my understanding the ESP button it there to turn it off (a toggle) and the symbol appears on the dash to inform you that it is off. I should be turned off on snow covered roads, deep snow, when stuck and others to prevent it from fighting with the powertrain getting you going. You know by lookiing it slippery already. Normally its on and saves you in surprising situations of slipping out in turns, black ice and others. I'd have to read it again.

You may also have traction control as well and 4WD to assist. I see your build is with 4WD.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I asked about the software on mine and the automatically hook it up and its checked with Chrylsers systems directly to see if an update if available for any subsystem. Clearly the dealer is not hooking the computer to the support system as I am told they do.

time to get another dealer to check this especially if under warranty or if you already did it while under warranty call customer service and have them force the dealer to comply and do the update.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I just got my Compass back from the dealer fixing my outside temp display finally after 3 previous servicings of this. I check the function and the ESP OFF does come on after 5 sec or so. I am not certain how this differs from just pushing the button quickly which shows the logo skidding on the screen.

I had a real murphy event series having to return 4 times to get manufunctions in the climit cluster working, all within the hour. finally home now and breathing as sigh with a cold one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As per the manual and my understanding the ESP button it there to turn it off (a toggle) and the symbol appears on the dash to inform you that it is off. I should be turned off on snow covered roads, deep snow, when stuck and others to prevent it from fighting with the powertrain getting you going. You know by lookiing it slippery already. Normally its on and saves you in surprising situations of slipping out in turns, black ice and others. I'd have to read it again.

You may also have traction control as well and 4WD to assist. I see your build is with 4WD.
I know the ESP works on black ice! and it works quite well too!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I haven't experienced it yet. But I will have to go over the manual in the winter to fully understand the advantage either way.

Cheers

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use mine in deep snow and in mud,it seems to work really well by keeping the power split 50% between the front and rear wheels.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am not certain how this differs from just pushing the button quickly which shows the logo skidding on the screen.
I think someone may have already covered this but anyway: No light means full-time ESP. Quick press (slippery light) means emergency ESP, reminding u to be careful, u are now driving without constant ESP. And 5 sec press (ESP OFF light) means that U have turned ESP completely off, and ur 4x4 LOCK can run with no ESP interference. Thats how they differ!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ahh.. this is great. I just tried turning ESP off on mine. Nothing happened when I held the button down for 5-10 seconds. However, when I hold it down for more than 20 seconds, the Slippery road light goes off and wont come on again for a few minutes. Its a bit confusing. I think I will have to get the dealership to check it out...Hopefully they can flash the unit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you don't get a chime and the "ESP OFF" on the odometer then it isn't working properly. A quick trip to a stealership that's willing to do the flash will solve the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
VARAX, I had this same problem and fought with the dealership for almost a year before I went to another and recieved a computer flash to repair the problem. Here's a link to the TSB

thanks for your input...im gonna head to the dealership i need a tune up before i drive out for september long weekend

1 - 20 of 21 Posts