My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I just recently got a 2018 Compass sport and I'd like to add new tires to get a better look. I'm also a big beach goer so I'd like to be able to drive effortlessly on the beach. I seen on IG someone had 225/75/r16 Mud tires on a trailhawk. Does the trailhawk come with a factory lift over the sport or do the bumpers just give it better angles for off-roading. She said she has no rubbing with that big of a tire. Any input would be great!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is yours 4x4? I believe all of the 4x4's sit a little higher.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think trailhawks have slightly more ground clearance, but that might every well be a result of different bumper designs. Trailhawks dont have an air dam under the front bumper, which I assume would increase ground clearance. In either case, I dont think it would change the tires you can install.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I just recently got a 2018 Compass sport and I'd like to add new tires to get a better look. I'm also a big beach goer so I'd like to be able to drive effortlessly on the beach. I seen on IG someone had 225/75/r16 Mud tires on a trailhawk. Does the trailhawk come with a factory lift over the sport or do the bumpers just give it better angles for off-roading. She said she has no rubbing with that big of a tire. Any input would be great!
Yes and Yes.
The TH has an addition 1" of ground clearance as well as front and rear bumpers that allow for more aggressive approach and descent angles. The TH also has skid plates, and a 4X4 mode that others do not have.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes and Yes.
The TH has an addition 1" of ground clearance as well as front and rear bumpers that allow for more aggressive approach and descent angles. The TH also has skid plates, and a 4X4 mode that others do not have.
Its not a lift tough, it is ground clearance. If you were to remove the bumpers, all trips would have the same ground clearance. So it would not change the size of tires you can put on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jeeps published numbers clear up the lift question. A base 2018 Compass Sport 4x4 will come factory equipped with 215/65 R16's, which have a diameter of 27". A base 2018 Trailhawk should come factory equipped with a set of 215/65 R17's, which have a diameter of 28". The Trailhawk tire is exactly 1 inch taller than the non-Trailhawk tire, which should lift the Compass Trailhawk by 0.5".

Jeeps published ground clearance numbers show that a base 2018 Sport 4x4 has 7.8" ground clearance, and a Trailhawk has 8.5" of clearance, which is a difference of 0.7". As 0.5" of the difference comes from the larger tires, the actual vehicle difference is 0.2", or 5 millimeters. That's the air dam.

A 225/75 R16 is going to have a diameter of 29.3", which willy fit fine in your Sport and will increase your ground clearance by over an inch. Is the IG public? I'd love to see what it looks like with those tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts