My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled into my driveway on Friday after a 100 mile drive and smoke starts spewing out from under the hood and a horrible burning smell ! I crawled under too find fluid had dropped onto the exhaust flex pipe and had burned off , there was a small oily spot on ground and I could see where it has been slowly leaking as oily spots under the vehicle. It smelled like gear lube to me, so I the dealer and he tells me to have it towed to him, get a call yesterday and he says the trans case is cracked and who bottamed it out ?! Not really what I wanted to hear, if it bottamed out that bad you should see damage of some sorts underneath and while I was trying to find the leak I did not see any damage and I was driving it when it happened and I know I did not bottam out or hit anything. Part ordered from Detriot yesterday, so lets see what happens.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Pulled into my driveway on Friday after a 100 mile drive and smoke starts spewing out from under the hood and a horrible burning smell ! I crawled under too find fluid had dropped onto the exhaust flex pipe and had burned off , there was a small oily spot on ground and I could see where it has been slowly leaking as oily spots under the vehicle. It smelled like gear lube to me, so I the dealer and he tells me to have it towed to him, get a call yesterday and he says the trans case is cracked and who bottamed it out ?! Not really what I wanted to hear, if it bottamed out that bad you should see damage of some sorts underneath and while I was trying to find the leak I did not see any damage and I was driving it when it happened and I know I did not bottam out or hit anything. Part ordered from Detriot yesterday, so lets see what happens.

Which year car is this and what trim? Second gen compass doesn’t have a transfer case, it has a power transfer unit. PTU is above the exhaust pipe, so it is impossible to hit and crack it without ripping out the exhaust.

I would ask to see the PTU they removed to verify it was bottomed out. A PTU hit to the ground will have scratches all over the bottom. If only has a crack, it just failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a 2018 Latitude, and that is exactly what I said told them ! guess they use the transfer case term loosely, but I did notice the leak from above the exhaust pipe and told them if this took a hit something else should show signs of damage , glad I crawled under it when the problem happened as there was not a scratch anywhere else. Been a week and a half now, they did give us a decent loaner and they are going to wtty it for us but there was some question initially, thanks for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts