My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 Jeep Compass 4x4 limited had the transaxle light come on today on the interstate. It never actually slowed down as some mentioned before. It was 94 degrees today and I was doing about 75 on the interstate. It has 150,000 miles on it. I called my mechanic and taking it in on Wed before I leave for a beach trip next week.
Would changing the transmission fluid help since it is over 150,000 miles? OR clean the radiator as some mentioned on other posts? I am also getting an oil change while there to get it road ready.
Thoughts/Suggestions?
thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think that you'll see some people 'fixed' the problem by doing one thing or another but there isn't a single answer that always works. This is because there can be more than one cause, or minor issues that together cause the high temp.
The radiator ultimately is where the heat is removed and if it is dirty it may not get enough air flow so trans fluid temp goes up. But it could also be that there isn't enough trans fluid flow so it isn't carrying the heat to the rad fast enough. The rad (engine coolant) could be running a bit warmer than normal for a number of reasons also. Your mechanic will need to consider each factor and try to address the most likely culprit first, but still might need to try more than one thing to solve the issue.
The transmission BTW has a strainer and an internal filter which should be cleaned / replaced as part of a fluid change.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts