My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I have owned my Jeep from the beginning in 2007 and it has been used and abused but it started having an issue with the transmission - the overheating warning light would come on and slow the car down. We ended up replacing the transmission and engine about a year ago with an engine transmission combination from a totaled compass with only 36000mi (at the time my car had about 79000 miles on it) The car ran great but now that little warning light is doing it again and when I took it to the dealer they told me that the transmission needed to be replaced again. When I pressed them for the exact cause of this problem they told me that when this happens they are told that they must replace the transmission.

Now this car had been used alot before the replacement of the engine and the transmission but since then it went into a sort of retirement just going back and forth to either the local high school and home or to the train station and home - never on long trips and has been regularly oil changed, serviced etc. The start of this car's life was a hard one with neglect so when told to replace the engine and the transmission we did it but now it seems the problem is back??? Has anyone any advice???

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Wow, already looking at the possibility of another engine/transmission? If you have the CVT, then yes, only the dealer can service/replace it as that is not a serviceable unit and can't just be "rebuilt." Did they replace the first one under warranty? Typically if there is evidence of abuse/neglect, the owner is on their own to replace it but good luck and maybe be just a little easier on the next one lol.

- Cherokee

1 - 2 of 2 Posts