My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At certain speeds, 5 - 25 and around 40 if I back off the gas completely for a few seconds and then accelerate there is a notiecable "jerk" in the drive-line. Has any body else experienced this? The dealer called Chrysler and they said it was normal. I drove another new vehicle at the dealer and the same drive-line "jerk" was there but to a much lesser degree.[/b]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transmission Problem? - Additional Information

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4 CVT.

The dealer also stated that Chrysler said it was the torque converter "locking up". Then upon acceleration... the "jerk" in the drive-line.

I agree that everthing is computer controlled and therein lies the hope that a re-flashing of the computer will fix the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Torque Converter

The following is a quote from an article about the CVT2 transmission in the Dodge Caliber. I assume this is the same CVT2 used in the Compass -

Chrysler Group's CVT2 contributes a 6-8 percent improvement in fuel economy compared with a traditional four-speed automatic transmission. Eliminating upshifts allows the transmission to engage the torque converter clutch almost immediately when accelerating and to keep it engaged throughout speed changes. This eliminates torque converter slippage common in stepped transmissions and results in more efficient operation, especially during city driving

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Torque Converter

tripletransit said:
The following is a quote from an article about the CVT2 transmission in the Dodge Caliber. I assume this is the same CVT2 used in the Compass -
From my understanding, they are basically the same vehicle, so it makes sense...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just Returned From The Dealer

The transimission was checked out with the following result:

1. All computer readouts indicate the transmission is functioning well.
2. The transmission tech said he observed the transmission to be operating correctly when driving the compass.
3. The transmission tech did acknowledge the jerk in the transition from decleration to acceleration at certain speeds.
4. The tech called Chrysler and they said they are aware of it as other owners have complained.
5. The service writer thinks that at some later date a re-flash of the computer will be issued to correct the problem but could not say when.
6. At this ponit, it seems to be a software only problem.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: Just Returned From The Dealer

tripletransit said:
5. The service writer thinks that at some later date a re-flash of the computer will be issued to correct the problem but could not say when.
6. At this ponit, it seems to be a software only problem.
I've noticed the issue just very very slightly.
But with the way the tranny works, I could see it being a software issue.

Never thought I would have to do a software patch for a car LOL
lets just hope it's not like World of warcraft, where they have to issue a patch, to fix the patch, to fix the other patch..etc..etc

·
Registered
362 Posts
One thing I noticed....

I had disconnected the battery when I installed my overhead DVD player. Now the "jerk" seems to be almost non-existent. It really wasn't bad before. It was just "different" from a regular automatic tranny. But now the "jerk" is a lot less noticable. You might want to disconnect your battery for 15 mins and see if that helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Disconnect Battery

Great idea disconnecting the battery! I will give that a try.

A few days before I brought the car in for service the jerk seemed to be lessening. I brought this to the tech's attention and he said the computer controlling the CVT is a learning computer. He said it will change the way the CVT works accoring to my driving habits and that it was possible that this learning ability could reduce the jerking.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I noticed that jerk too. I assumed it was part of the CVT. It's really noticable on mine. Anytime I take my foot of the gas you can feel it. It's almost like I have to continually put my foot on the gas to prevent it.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
The way I understand it, as I was told, is that yes, it is all computer controlled, and it is a learning computer, but the dealer explained to me that I am not supposed to feel the transmission shift, which I don't, except when I let my foot off the gas, so only in de-celeration, are you going to feel it. I get a little jerk just letting off the gas, but nothing I feel concerned about. I was also told that this is normal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Our Compas was a Dec. 21, 06 build date. There is no jerk of any kind. However if we floor it and it gets to 6,000 rpm it does not move to the next belt pully or what-ever, I have to let off on the gas so it will move to then next shift. Anyone else have this?

farout

·
Registered
62 Posts
farout said:
Our Compas was a Dec. 21, 06 build date. There is no jerk of any kind. However if we floor it and it gets to 6,000 rpm it does not move to the next belt pully or what-ever, I have to let off on the gas so it will move to then next shift. Anyone else have this?

farout
Yes, I believe mine does the same thing. It seemed to be happening just once in a while but now I notice it almost every time I drive it. I haven't noticed any jerk either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had swung by the dealership yesterday actually and was talking about this. It's got to do with how the belts work for the tranny. Think about if you had a belt running forward on two gears. if all of the sudden you wanted to change the direction of the momentum, it would physically have to stop for a split second, then change direction: the 'jerk'.

I notice a slight one when I'm braking. If I ease off the brake even slightly, I notice a little jerk, or slip. Freaked me out at first, but then got used to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
tripletransit said:
At certain speeds, 5 - 25 and around 40 if I back off the gas completely for a few seconds and then accelerate there is a notiecable "jerk" in the drive-line. .[/b]
This jerk you are speaking of, my compass at low speeds 5-25 after you have been off the gas for a few and just tap the gas. The compass launches you and its like the rpm's hang high for a bit mabe 4 -6 seconds. almost feels like a sticky throttle. only has 3500 miles on it. then from dead stop has a noticable hesitation and has stalled completly twice. any one else had this?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't believe the jerhing is one bit within normal function of the CVT II. This should be investageted by a thec. who knows what he is doing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts