My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok, I first found this site to see what compass owners were saying beforw my wife and i made the purchase. I found it very helpful and for that i owe a big debt.
the reason i asked about the jerk or lunge or what ever it is you wish to call it is my wife was pulling into a parking spot at our local store. as she pulled into the lot she allowed the compass to idle thru the lot she found a parking spot next to the building she tapped the gas and then it happened. by it i am talking about the lunge it put her up over the curb and into the building. so after we take care of all the legal police reports insurance info you know all that. we take the car to the dealer we made the purchase from. I talked to the service manager over the phone he was nice but you could hear in his voice when i said the compass leaped forward when you just touch the gas and thats whatcausedthis you could just feel him rolling his eyes. he responded with I have yet to hear of any issues with that on the compass. But today as they have the compass and had a chance to look at it i called him left a message he called me back in good time and told me that there is a number of t.s.b's (technical service bullitens) out for just this issue. How you can go from none to a number of i'll never know. But they had to reflash the computer or reprogram it again however you want to say it.
should i feel that i should not have to pay this deductable? My insurance is going to go up $100.00 + a year. because they knew about this but chose not to tell anyone. I have very mixed feelings about this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally fixed

I have been battling with the factory on my 2012 Compass for two and a half years and FINALLY got the transmission replaced and problems solved. The vehicle has always had a "whine" in the trans when it gets warm. After about 6 months I started experiencing the trans temp light coming on and the governor slowing me to a stop. This has gotten more frequent as time went on. I had it in the dealership many times starting about 2 years ago. First they told me it was because I had to do the $50 60,000 mile trans service. I got it done at a local shop for $200. The factory isn't going to sell me an overpriced service before they perform the warranty work they know is due. So after that, the factory told the dealer they needed to pull the code from the car. There has never been a code, even when the light is on. On the 4th or 5th time at the dealer, I pulled in with the light on and the trans singing loud. They hooked up and said there was no code. The factory has said each time that the vehicle is acting as designed. There is no problem. And that I am driving the vehicle "too fast" making the light come on. I asked them to define "too fast". They never did. For me to get home, there is a mountain pass I drive up with an elevation change from 1000 feet to 4500 feet in about 10 miles. Parts of it are steep. (Cajon Pass in southern CA). It got where I could not make it up the pass, no matter how gingerly I drove, without the light coming on. This doesn't seem to me to be "as designed". The service manager at Victorville Motors eventually told me not to come back with this issue anymore because they have spent too much of their time and can't get the factory to approve it. I spoke to an attorney but didn't get warm and fuzzies that I had a case and didn't want attorney fees to eat up more cash. Finally this car as involved in an accident and when I got it back I noticed a knew problem. When you put the car in Drive, it would sometimes not move and would have to shift back to neutral and then to drive again. I told the body shop the history and that there has been a long transmission problem and I didn't want to be dishonest trying to pin all of that on this accident, but that this seemed to be a new issue. The body shop took it to Victorville Motors and they were able to get the factory to approve the trans replacement. I got the car back this week and have put some hard miles on it up and down the pass and it never whined. Never heated. Drove and shifted perfectly. I don't know if this is helpful to anyone else, but wanted to put the whole history out there as it seems this trans issue is common in the Compass and it seems it is common for the factory to deny the warranty and not fix it. I will never buy another Chrysler product because of this. If anyone wants to contact me for more details, I'd be glad to help in any way I can. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
A lot of similarity with my CVT. It took me over a year and a half to get mine replaced. It was terrible to drive even as a new vehicle because of the defective CVT. I was also told it was normal. Different symptom but YES JEEP DOES DENY warranty service unless forced to especially on higher ticket parts. They dismiss it as normal and codes don't show up for every problem. That's a fact and all they seem to rely on. It has to be broken before they feel the obligation. It moves and you can drive it good luck.

That's why when I wanted to replace my old Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002. I got a Hyundai Sante Fe AWD. A great vehicle which I enjoy driving. Jeep lost a long term customer as a result of the quality and treatment of the Compass experience. The build quality is horrible. Constant dealer visits for repairs throughout the warranty period. Laughable at times as they threw parts at it so many times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
People in this thread are talking about the "jerk" at lower speeds/RPMs than I'm noticing. I have a 2008 Compass 2.4L and at highway speeds, when I take my foot off the gas to decelerate, I get this jerk. I'm scared it's the transmission, but I'm going to disconnect the battery and see if that helps.

I've got 110k miles on it and did do the 60k transmission flush and fill. At low speeds/RPMs it's fine.

Is my problem more likely a transmission issue? (Say it isn't so!)

·
Registered
434 Posts
People in this thread are talking about the "jerk" at lower speeds/RPMs than I'm noticing. I have a 2008 Compass 2.4L and at highway speeds, when I take my foot off the gas to decelerate, I get this jerk. I'm scared it's the transmission, but I'm going to disconnect the battery and see if that helps.

I've got 110k miles on it and did do the 60k transmission flush and fill. At low speeds/RPMs it's fine.

Hey OhioLaurel,

How long have you been feeling this “jerk,” in your vehicle when decelerating from high way speeds? I would advise you to bring this issue to the attention of your local certified FCA dealership. If the behavior is easy to replicate, the dealer should be able to diagnose your vehicle. If you would like me to look into this further, please private message me your VIN and servicing dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I'm getting the vibration more now and when its hot it doesn't seem to want to pull at 40 or 50 mph but the rpm's are around 6000

21 - 27 of 27 Posts