My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Jeep Compass limited 4wd with 180,000 miles and have been chasing transmission problems for a while. I will try to keep my post and description as short as I can but it first started with the tranny overheating with the abs, 4x4, etc. lights on and it wouldn’t shift out of first without using the slap shift. Changed fluid and both filters, plugs, wheel speed sensors and fixed the transmission not shifting but it was still overheating. It threw a code for Torque converter clutch solenoid shut off so replaced the solenoid. Since then it hasn’t overheated but it is throwing 730 code for incorrect gear ratio and the gas mileage sucks. I flashed the computer and it drove fine for a few days but it’s back to throwing the code and not wanting to shift out of low gear without winding out to 5,000 rpm. Another issue that has happened, is after I drove it when the solenoid was replaced, came home, put it in park and decided to move it and it would not move in either drive or reverse. No rpm, no engine whine, foot to the floor and no response at all. Turned the jeep off, immediately started it right back and everything was normal. My daughter told me the same thing had happened to her a while back.

I explain all that to ask for opinions because right now I’m at a loss as to what to look at next. Should I put a new TCM in or a new valve body? Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you initialize the TCM?
Did you initialize the TCM?
I haven’t replaced the TCM yet I just drained all the power to the ECU and I’m assuming in doing that it did the TCM too. Hadn’t tried that trick before but I thought I would. I did the key resets and shifting the trans as it said to. Is there something else I should have done?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dis you ever find a solution to your p0730 not shift problem? I have the same issue and I've pulled apart valve body cleaned it. Changed filter and fluid. I'm stuck and was wondering if you found a solution

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dis you ever find a solution to your p0730 not shift problem? I have the same issue and I've pulled apart valve body cleaned it. Changed filter and fluid. I'm stuck and was wondering if you found a solution
I haven’t been able to get back to working on it because my son’s engine in his 350z locked up so I’ve been dealing with that. My thought was either the TCM or valve body. Looked at getting a rebuilt valve body for it and finding a way to test the TCM. Only real reason I leaned toward it being the control module is the fact of the accelerator basically going dead, as far as not going in reverse or forward with no RPM’s until you shut the jeep off and Start it back and everything is fine. Doesn’t happen often at all but it has done it 4 times that I know of with me and both of my kids driving it. Have you had that happen with yours?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it happened once or twice. But now it won't shift out of first gear. Rpms go all the way to red line but won't shift to second. When mine did what yours is doing I changed fluid and both filters. And it drove fine for about a week. Then it stopped shifting out of first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it happened once or twice. But now it won't shift out of first gear. Rpms go all the way to red line but won't shift to second. When mine did what yours is doing I changed fluid and both filters. And it drove fine for about a week. Then it stopped shifting out of first.
ive changed fluid and both filters in mine as well and was getting the code for the Torque Converter clutch solenoid stuck off so I replaced the solenoid and it quit overheating but now I have the 730 code like you. Mine did the same as yours as far as not shifting out of first. The only way I could get it to shift was to manually shift it using the slap shift. Mine was caused from both rear wheel speed sensors being bad. I replaced those as well aa the wheel bearings and it took care of that problem. Do you have any lights on in your instrument cluster like abs, 4x4, etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
ive changed fluid and both filters in mine as well and was getting the code for the Torque Converter clutch solenoid stuck off so I replaced the solenoid and it quit overheating but now I have the 730 code like you. Mine did the same as yours as far as not shifting out of first. The only way I could get it to shift was to manually shift it using the slap shift. Mine was caused from both rear wheel speed sensors being bad. I replaced those as well aa the wheel bearings and it took care of that problem. Do you have any lights on in your instrument cluster like abs, 4x4, etc?
Just the check engine light. No other lights and mine won't switch gears manually either. It switches numbers on the cluster but doesn't feel like it's switching gears. I was told by a mechanic last night to change the neutral safety switch on the tyranny. Have you tried that yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just the check engine light. No other lights and mine won't switch gears manually either. It switches numbers on the cluster but doesn't feel like it's switching gears. I was told by a mechanic last night to change the neutral safety switch on the tyranny. Have you tried that yet?
No I have not tried that or seen anything online about it but the one thing I have learned in dealing with these CVT transmissions is I don’t like them and there’s a ton of things that can cause them to act up. The only other thing I have seen about the 730 code is everything I’ve seen said to check all the wiring from the control module to the tranny to make sure there are no issues with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No I have not tried that or seen anything online about it but the one thing I have learned in dealing with these CVT transmissions is I don’t like them and there’s a ton of things that can cause them to act up. The only other thing I have seen about the 730 code is everything I’ve seen said to check all the wiring from the control module to the tranny to make sure there are no issues with it.
Yes they do have alot that can go wrong and even harder to diagnose. They should have never went with these in any vehicle without allowing buyers to purchase repair manuals. Just tried replacing the neutral safety switch on the tyranny. Didn't fix it. Trying to get it to a dealer to see if it needs to be flashed. I will let you know how it works out. My solution could be yours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes they do have alot that can go wrong and even harder to diagnose. They should have never went with these in any vehicle without allowing buyers to purchase repair manuals. Just tried replacing the neutral safety switch on the tyranny. Didn't fix it. Trying to get it to a dealer to see if it needs to be flashed. I will let you know how it works out. My solution could be yours.
I agree. I bought a Haynes manual for them and it sucks, especially dealing with the tranny. Yeah let me know what you find out. I did have a mechanic tell me that the ecu or in this case TCM rarely tell on themselves if they are bad. I hope having yours flashed fixes it. I’ll be anxious to see what the dealer tells you about it when you get it in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts