My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This TSB came out yesterday for all MP, M1, M4, M6 and has the topic "Flash Drivetrain Control Module Diagnostics and System Improvements". Bad thing is, I have no access, so I can´t read what the TSB says. Is anyone here, who is able to read TSB´s?

·
Registered
136 Posts
well what is the remedy? I am about to bring my jeep in for all the uCONNECT issues I've been having and if I can have them fix this at the same time I would like to know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks, they will do a software update of the DCM.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks Toy and Germaneon for posting this info!!!!!!

I hope they have it figured out this noise it has been driving me batty. It had almost stopped but over the last little bit it has become constant again and louder. I ask the sevice department to look at it last week when we took it in for it's first oil change. But they were short on staff and ask us to call for an appointment to have it looked at. Had they looked at it then they would not have had this TBS so maybe it has all worked out for the better. We will see it goes in on Monday and I'll make sure I give them this TSB!!!! I will also post what the outcome is.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I want to know EXACTLY what is changing in the programming to reduce or eliminate the sound. I'd take the sound and better AWD performance or mileage over quiet and neutered any day of the week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't even know what the issue is as I've only had my 2018 Compass Trailhawk for a little bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
I want to know EXACTLY what is changing in the programming to reduce or eliminate the sound. I'd take the sound and better AWD performance or mileage over quiet and neutered any day of the week.

Yeah I would like to know what this software is doing. But honestly just bumping up the speed where the system is doing whatever makes this noise could do it. If this is the case AWD would not suffer. But whatever it is I hope it does not degrade performance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Turning off the traction control works to eliminate the noise on mine. Since my drives it, I'm sure she doesn't turn it off even though I mentioned it. Hopefully this fix takes care of the issue, but I'm curious what the actual code change is as well. Regardless I'm most interested in durability since we try to run our vehicles close to 200,000 miles(10-12 years).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Turning off the traction control works to eliminate the noise on mine. Since my drives it, I'm sure she doesn't turn it off even though I mentioned it. Hopefully this fix takes care of the issue, but I'm curious what the actual code change is as well. Regardless I'm most interested in durability since we try to run our vehicles close to 200,000 miles(10-12 years).

Yes turning off traction control,shifting to manual mode on the auto transmission or selecting 4wd lock all make the noise stop with this issue.

I drive mine with the traction/stability control off all the time! Even though your flipping the switch off it does not totally disable it instead it just mutes it. Try to have too much fun and it will still give you a little tug on your shirt sleeve just to say it is still there and working.

·
Registered
265 Posts

I don't see it as being dangerous at all. I have driven for years without all the nanny crap in fact my 03 Chevy Tracker does not even have ABS on it and I have had no issues driving it at all. Now for those that need all that nanny crap to keep them in check that is another story.

I actually read today someone with an older Renegade stated that if you push and hold the button it would turn traction and stability control completely off. I had to try this but it does not work on our Jeeps or he was mistaken. But that would have been totally cool! Heck turning that crap off might have unlocked the crazy hemi mode! I could have been able to take off my crash helmet and done loopty loops,killer drifts, and some serouse Dukes of Hazzard fun stuff like driving through barns on two wheels. Then maybe that would have been a little bit on the dangerous side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't see it as being dangerous at all. I have driven for years without all the nanny crap in fact my 03 Chevy Tracker does not even have ABS on it and I have had no issues driving it at all. Now for those that need all that nanny crap to keep them in check that is another story.

I actually read today someone with an older Renegade stated that if you push and hold the button it would turn traction and stability control completely off. I had to try this but it does not work on our Jeeps or he was mistaken. But that would have been totally cool! Heck turning that crap off might have unlocked the crazy hemi mode! I could have been able to take off my crash helmet and done loopty loops,killer drifts, and some serouse Dukes of Hazzard fun stuff like driving through barns on two wheels. Then maybe that would have been a little bit on the dangerous side.
Worked for me. If I hold the traction control it also turns off stability control.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
UPDATE!!!!!

Took Compass in this morning for this noise by appointment at 8:30 AM. I don't know why things always go the long way around for us but compared to what some of you guys have been going through I won't complain too much. The whole thing goes like this.

We drop off the Jeep at 8:30AM along with the TSB number posted. Around 2:30 PM we had not heard anything as we were driving by the dealership I decided to check in. One of the service managers tells us the tech took our Jeep out for a test drive reports back to sevice manager he heard nothing. Also says the TSB is not showing up for our VIN.

But the other service manager I have talked to at length before feels if I'm complaining there is something up. He was out test driving our Jeep at the moment to see what was up. We see our Jeep pull in sevice manager comes in and I ask if he heard the noise. He said at first no but as he was coming back into the dealership he finally heard it admits it sounds crazy and got his attention at 37 MPH. He told me where they drove it and it was a road with 40-45 MPH speed limit and hilly. Tells us he is grabbing the tech and they both were going to check it out now that he knows what to listen for. I tell him to just take it down the road behind the dealership we are on this road all the time speedline is 35 but 40 is fine and it is more level. We drive this road all the time and noise has been constant on this road over the last few weeks. We leave and tell him to call if they find something if we don't hear from them today we will check back sometime late morning tomorrow.

I get a call around 4:40 PM saying it is fixed they have driven it extensively between 30-45 MPH and no more noise.

We go to pick it up and talk to the service manager who said yep the noise was very pronounced and constant on the suggested road. I ask what did they do to fix the problem and he starts saying basically the first line of the TSB from the pic Germaneon posted (thank you). I ask so it was the TSB he said yes. They contacted FCA and was told if these conditions exist and there are no codes present that indicate a mechanical failure apply the TSB. DTCM reflash,Flash PCM,TCM,flash.

We have driven near 20 miles all in the 30-40 MPH range and it has been mostly quiet. There was a couple of times in a small MPH variance I could very faintly hear just a little hum oddly when this happens and I shift to manual mode the same noise as before starts for just a second then goes away. But it is only very pronounced for a second and only if the shifter is moved to manual if you hear the faint hum elsewise you hardly notice it and it is only present within like a 4 MPH zone around 35.

In driving so far it feels like shift points may have been moved around acceleration is better and the Compass feels a bit more nimble on the real twisty parts of the road. I'm hoping this nimbleness is because the Compass is now working like it is suppose to and not that the AWD grip has been diminished.

Wife and I are cautiously optimistic this is a true fix and the Jeep performs as it should as I have said many times we really love this Compass! Going out this eve. to cruise around some more see what happens.

Then over the next few days our area could see up to 4" of rain. I have a long forestry road picked out I'm hoping to drive in/after this rain/storm event. We have not been on this forestry road since opened up after last Winter. Last time we were on this road in my Chevy Tracker it tossed a bit of everything at us. Slippery mud, rocks in the road/coming up out of the road,an odd paved section in the middle that gets a little steep and is covered in green moss very slick, deep holes and ruts then at one point we had to to drive under a tree that had fallen across the road. So we will see if we can tell if performance is up to snuff still.

I will report back here on how things go from here! Wish us luck!!!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Good luck to you Chris, I will be very happy for you if the noise is "cured" and everything functions as its supposed to. We have an oil change scheduled for Friday so we'll see if they apply any updates with that. In the past they have been proactive about flashing modules while they have it for unrelated routine maintenance but I think how busy they are may affect whether they decide to or not. I'll maybe ask them about it that morning.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts