My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Tune-Up Kit for Compass?

20K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Cherokee 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I stumbled on this forum while doing some research on tune ups for my 2007 Jeep Compass and decided to join.

Online I saw tune-up kits for the Cherokee and Patriot, but none for Compass. Is it because it is too new? Are the others compatible to the Compass?

Can anyone suggest a top 5 list of things to change? I've pretty much assumed spark plugs, any worn hoses, my PCV valve as well as the obvious oil and filter change.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 ·
youre list is pretty good. I'd add replace air filter and when you do your sparkplugs add anti-seize to the threads and put some dielectric tune-up grease on the boots when you reinstall them, youll thank yourself later for doing it haha. Again, tho, your list is good, not much else to add really, unless you wanna get in depth and start changing brake pads and flushing coolant.

#3 ·
Spark plugs period if the mileage warrants.

The other items are wear items of a different nature and you'd address them separately, such as oil changes. I am changing my compass oil at 5k. The light has never come on but I don't believe in the 10k or 12k the manual says is the max.

However, having said that, if the vehicle starts good and millage is good or the same as long ago. New plugs will change nothing other than the state of your wallet. Everytime you do an oil/filter change you should look at the coolant level in the jar (real easy, unless you have a white cane).

#4 ·
Things that need changed is one thing, and spark plugs definitely top that list. I would say the rest just needs to be checked and replaced/repaired as needed: air filter, coolant, washer fluid, belts/hoses, oil/filter etc.

- Cherokee

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I've made a list and I'll be off to the auto parts store soon!

#6 ·
My 2007 Jeep Compass

Hi Everyone, just wanted you to know I have had excellent service from my 2007 4X4, I use Amsoil Synthetic Oil in my Jeep so I don't have to change the Oil for 20-25K, just the filter @ 12.5K I currently have 65.5K miles and just found out the plugs are supposed to be changed every 30K ? Is that right or is the dealer just trying to make $$ off of me? It was starting to start a little harder so I thought the battery was getting a little bad so I had a Die Hard put in, it still starts a little weak..so Plugs must be the problem..
Anyway, what I would like is feedback to change the SparkPlugs myself. There is a metal bar across the top of the plugs does that just snap up off the top of the plugs? Can someone give me step by step what to do? or should I pay the local dealer $105. to do it for me? By the way, they said that the platinum plugs were not reccommended as it would hinder the performance of the Jeep? What do you think? Thanks, From James in Cloverdale, CA

#7 ·
#8 ·
Welcome to the forum nascarjames, glad to have you! Yep, 30K seems to be the new standard for plug changes. To me, it's always worth it to DIY if you can to save some money. As for platinum plugs, no sense in putting such a hot running plug in the Compass. Like tripplec said, best to use what's recommended by the manufacturer.

- Cherokee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.