My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

We appreciate the feedback that has been shared among the forum regarding the sound concerns in the Uconnect 5 system. In a recent update, the national over-the-air launch changed with the following:
  • For those currently at R17.99 software level, the national launch timing is TBD.
  • For those currently at R17.98 software level, the national launch timing is expected by the end of January, but the timing is subject to change at any time for reason.
To locate your software level, you can select Apps > All Apps > Settings > System Information > Build Number on your touchscreen. Our team deeply apologizes for any miscommunication and frustration this causes, and we will continue to provide new updates as they’re received.

Steph
Jeep Cares

· Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone, We appreciate the feedback that has been shared among the forum regarding the sound concerns in the Uconnect 5 system. In a recent update, the national over-the-air launch changed with the following:
  • For those currently at R17.99 software level, the national launch timing is TBD.
  • For those currently at R17.89 software level, the national launch timing is expected by the end of January, but the timing is subject to change at any time for reason.
To locate your software level, you can select Apps > All Apps > Settings > System Information > Build Number on your touchscreen. Our team deeply apologizes for any miscommunication and frustration this causes, and we will continue to provide new updates as they’re received. Steph Jeep Cares
Hello. Do you mean R17.98? or Is there really an R17.89? The bulletin refers to R17.98 and mine has the same version. Thanks

· Registered
33 Posts
Hello everyone,

We appreciate the feedback that has been shared among the forum regarding the sound concerns in the Uconnect 5 system. In a recent update, the national over-the-air launch changed with the following:
  • For those currently at R17.89 software level, the national launch timing is expected by the end of January, but the timing is subject to change at any time for reason.
To locate your software level, you can select Apps > All Apps > Settings > System Information > Build Number on your touchscreen. Our team deeply apologizes for any miscommunication and frustration this causes, and we will continue to provide new updates as they’re received.

Steph
Jeep Cares
Is our system information located in the book as well?

· Administrator
2,476 Posts
THIS THREAD IS FOR INFORMATION OR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE OTA UPDATE.
Legitimate questions are welcome on this thread.

We -- the moderators on this site -- understand the frustration many owners have experienced with their audio systems and their need to vent. That is why we introduced the following thread: A place to vent about the radio fading issue That thread is a truly wonderful and welcoming place to vent any negativity related to the radio fading issue.

Please help us keep this site enjoyable and this thread informative! :)

· Administrator
2,476 Posts
Does the update require a WiFi connection? Does the vehicle need to be parked and running? Any idea how long it takes to complete the update? Thanks!
I'm not an authority, but I figure the audio system must be on. I'd suggest parking it because, at least where I live, Sirius can be spotty. If you drove under a bridge, behind a mountain, or even under thick branches overhead, I suspect it would interrupt the connection. That would be like unplugging a desktop or turning off a laptop during an update -- it might make things worse.

Like some of the others I wish it were a dealer update but I suspect Jeep is saving millions of $$ by doing it themselves and not paying dealers to do it.

· Registered
84 Posts
I'm not an authority, but I figure the audio system must be on. I'd suggest parking it because, at least where I live, Sirius can be spotty. If you drove under a bridge, behind a mountain, or even under thick branches overhead, I suspect it would interrupt the connection. That would be like unplugging a desktop or turning off a laptop during an update -- it might make things worse.

Like some of the others I wish it were a dealer update, but I suspect Jeep is saving millions of $$ by doing it themselves and not paying dealers to do it.
Jasmine, this update has nothing to do with Sirius Satellite Radio! As I understand it. everyone should make sure that you can connect to a Wi-Fi source directly from a subscription to a cellular service or using your homes Wi-Fi. If we need to have our vehicle outside and running in a clear area, please have someone from Jeep get back to us for clarification!

· Registered
19 Posts
Im not sure if this post was geared towards me, but I had asked a legitimate question. I normally go to reddit with issues like this but the Jeep reddit doesnt have much info on the radio fading issues. This site has been great for up to date information but It’s hard to follow all the updates on the update when the threads keep getting closed and new threads opening. All radio volume fading threads were locked and condensed to “Radio”(locked). A new thread created for “update has begun” which is now locked and the new thread created for the update postponement. And a separate thread for gripes. I wasnt trying to be argumentative just wondering if I am eligible for the update going out by the end of the month or the update with no timeline? Hence why i asked if I was reading it correctly that the update is still rolling out and the only postponement is for software R17.89?

· Administrator
2,476 Posts
No, my post was not directed at you @Highhoops44. I moved several prior posts to the venting thread because that is what they were: venting. I left your post in this thread because it was indeed a legitimate question. Thanks for participating constructively in the discussion. :)

· Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello. Do you mean R17.98? or Is there really an R17.89? The bulletin refers to R17.98 and mine has the same version. Thanks
Hello jacob09,

Yes. I apologize, I did correct that. It is for 17.98.

Steph
Jeep Cares

· Registered
13 Posts
Does the update require a WiFi connection? Does the vehicle need to be parked and running? Any idea how long it takes to complete the update? Thanks!
This is a good question. If someone knows please answer! Does it happen automatically when turning the car on or do we need to go do the updates ourselves in settings? I’ve tried updating it myself from settings but for some reason the WiFi connection to my home or even my phone using personal hotspot never connects. All it says is connecting… For those who have gotten an update let us know !

· Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is a good question. If someone knows please answer! Does it happen automatically when turning the car on or do we need to go do the updates ourselves in settings? I’ve tried updating it myself from settings but for some reason the WiFi connection to my home or even my phone using personal hotspot never connects. All it says is connecting… For those who have gotten an update let us know !
Hi motrhd101 and Redbull,

Updates are sent regionally and depend on cellular network availability and vehicle location, so a Wi-Fi connection is not required to receive over-the-air updates. The update cannot be applied by going into your Uconnect settings, but you will know the update is available when you see a push notification on your touchscreen advising you to update now or schedule later. The notification will most likely appear when the vehicle is parked and could take up to 15-20 minute. You can also refer to this link for further details: Over-the-Air Software Updates - YouTube

Steph
Jeep Cares

· Administrator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
449 Posts
I read it as the postponement is only for those with R17.99.
From the OP:
"For those currently at R17.98 software level, the national launch timing is expected by the end of January, but the timing is subject to change at any time for reason."

· Registered
19 Posts
From the OP:
"For those currently at R17.98 software level, the national launch timing is expected by the end of January, but the timing is subject to change at any time for reason."
So, are you saying that the over the air update expected by the end of january (as per customer care) is postponed until the end of january subject to change. Which is different for R17.99 which is postponed indefinitely. I thought that is what I had posted and questioned initally.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts