My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
curious to see if anyone else has had their UConnect/NAV screen NOT turn on when turning on the car. This has happened only once, but after 2-3 minutes, it eventually came on.

I've gotten into the habit over the years to turn off the radio and air before turning off the car. My understanding is that leaving them off will help extend battery life and allow the car to startup easier (I also typically let the car sit for 30 seconds if it hasn't been used in several hours).

but the other morning, when I started the car, I pressed the power button for the radio, but nothing happened. I pressed harder, and again, nothing. I cursed, and again nothing. I pressed different buttons, and again, nothing. eventually, the radio came on, but the screen was unresponsive. I cursed again, but nothing. I pressed the talk button on the wheel, and the screen went dark. I pressed the power button to the radio, and then it came on and was fully responsive.

clearly, my cursing and mashing of the buttons were unaffective. so I'm not really sure what else to do. /sarcasm

but seriously, just wanted to know if this happened to anyone else.

thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well first off, turning the AC and Radio off isn't going to extend your battery life. Possibly the radio if it had an excessive parasitic draw, but it should draw the same whether you turn it off or the key does.

As for the unresponsiveness. The uConnect systems do take a couple minutes to boot. It's possible you got it hung up by mashing the buttons repeatedly, lol. I usually crank my car up, and by the time I've put on my seat belt, and adjusted the air, everything else is up and ready for me.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! Did you ever figure the problem out? My 2019 Jeep Compass is doing the same thing. Black screen but I can hear the audio. I have been letting the car run for about 10 minutes and the screen has still not responded.
Thanks!

curious to see if anyone else has had their UConnect/NAV screen NOT turn on when turning on the car. This has happened only once, but after 2-3 minutes, it eventually came on.

I've gotten into the habit over the years to turn off the radio and air before turning off the car. My understanding is that leaving them off will help extend battery life and allow the car to startup easier (I also typically let the car sit for 30 seconds if it hasn't been used in several hours).

but the other morning, when I started the car, I pressed the power button for the radio, but nothing happened. I pressed harder, and again, nothing. I cursed, and again nothing. I pressed different buttons, and again, nothing. eventually, the radio came on, but the screen was unresponsive. I cursed again, but nothing. I pressed the talk button on the wheel, and the screen went dark. I pressed the power button to the radio, and then it came on and was fully responsive.

clearly, my cursing and mashing of the buttons were unaffective. so I'm not really sure what else to do. /sarcasm

but seriously, just wanted to know if this happened to anyone else.

thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not helpful to make fun of the question. We aren’t stupid. The screen is BLACK. It’s not our inpatients with waiting for it to boot up. This is a legit problem and your advice is irrelevant and unnecessarily sassy.

Well first off, turning the AC and Radio off isn't going to extend your battery life. Possibly the radio if it had an excessive parasitic draw, but it should draw the same whether you turn it off or the key does.

As for the unresponsiveness. The uConnect systems do take a couple minutes to boot. It's possible you got it hung up by mashing the buttons repeatedly, lol. I usually crank my car up, and by the time I've put on my seat belt, and adjusted the air, everything else is up and ready for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not helpful to make fun of the question. We aren’t stupid. The screen is BLACK. It’s not our inpatients with waiting for it to boot up. This is a legit problem and your advice is irrelevant and unnecessarily sassy.
Just to be clear, you're making an irrelevant and unhelpful post saying how my post was unhelpful, missing my sarcasm, and adding your own sass when I had none.

The OP had some sarcasm in his post, so I added a little to mine. Nothing offensive, but apparently you weren't able to understand that it was just sarcasm. I also was helpful in saying that the button mashing indeed may have been the cause; while something's booting up if you go and hit a bunch of buttons over and over it usually doesn't turn out how you expect it to. The OP hasn't replied so it's possible this has never happened to them again.

With that said, if you're having a continuous problem with this, I'd suggest taking it to the dealer. Most of these vehicles are likely under warranty still, so let the dealership deal with finding the problem and fixing it. If you are out of warranty, then I don't think there's much you can do. There is a factory reset option I believe; maybe that will help you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi! Did you ever figure the problem out? My 2019 Jeep Compass is doing the same thing. Black screen but I can hear the audio. I have been letting the car run for about 10 minutes and the screen has still not responded.
Thanks!
sorry for the late repsonse.
fortunately, the problem has not come up since then - so maybe just a one-off thing. the only thing I can think of is maybe I was in a "dead zone" whereby the signal was not as strong for XM radio. but I doubt that would be the culprit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts