My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
We have a 2018 Compass Latitude. Started looking in 2017 for a replacement for our 2002, PT Cruiser with 144,000 miles on it.
Wasn't thrilled with the 1st gen Compass and thinking Cherokee. Then the 2017.5 came out, liked the looks and features, test drove both the 2nd gen Compass and Cherokee...liked the Compass more!

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
View attachment 14464

Love the color, love the tech.
Nice color. However, the color is hard to get. Frankly any color is hard to get. My dealer says they don't sell so they don't order them. When I went to buy my Compass they had a couple dozen in varying shades of black, gray, or white, and one green one like yours. I inquired about the green one but someone else had bought it immediately after it came in. So they had a whole row of boring colors like the one I bought.

I hope the tech is good to you. That seems to be a leading complaint (right after oil consumption) but mine has been OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice color. However, the color is hard to get. Frankly any color is hard to get. My dealer says they don't sell so they don't order them. When I went to buy my Compass they had a couple dozen in varying shades of black, gray, or white, and one green one like yours. I inquired about the green one but someone else had bought it immediately after it came in. So they had a whole row of boring colors like the one I bought.

I hope the tech is good to you. That seems to be a leading complaint (right after oil consumption) but mine has been OK.
Mine has been great so far. I think I have only seen 2 other green ones ever. The rest were white, black, or silver.
I did a lot of research and the oil consumption was a worry for me. I check my oil levels every 1000 miles and get an oil change every 3k miles. So if something goes wrong, its not from a lack of maintenance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did a lot of research and the oil consumption was a worry for me. I check my oil levels every 1000 miles and get an oil change every 3k miles. So if something goes wrong, its not from a lack of maintenance.
3k oil change cycle is IMO too low considering that all engine oils now are fully synthetic.
While adding some here and there before some 7-8k miles could save some pocket money,

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
I agree with @asakaze. My miles are mostly highway miles and until I got a Compass they all used conventional oil. As an outside sales/service rep I was running 35,000-50,000 miles/year and I changed my oil every 5000 miles or roughly speaking every 6 weeks or at least every other month. With synthetic I'm changing every 7,000. In fact I'm going in tomorrow for an oil change.

When the synthetic oil is new it's almost invisible on the dipstick. FYI, at exactly 7,000 miles my oil is presently light brown -- a tad darker than the color of new conventional oil.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have been doing 4k oil change intervals. The computer asks for oil change aprox. every 7.5-8k and I had free oil changes from the dealership, but they will only do it when the computer says its time. So I did one in-between each of their oil changes since I believe 8k is too long for the hard life I put my motor through.

My lease just ended and I went in for my last free oil change and they did the work then said the free oil changes were expired so I had to pay out of pocket which was super aggravating, three times as much as it costs me to do it at home with the best oil and filter off the shelf. I'm pretty much out of warranty miles too so basically never taking this car back to the dealer service center again.

That being the case, I think I will switch to 5k intervals from here on out. Its just simple and easy to remember that every interval of 5k on the odometer I'll go "ope, its time for an oil and filter change!" at 55k, 60k, 65k, etc.

IMO 5k is a decent service life for full synthetic running through a good filter in a vehicle that sees a lot of moderately hard towing usage like I do.

I am undecided on if I will do the extra mid-interval oil changes at home on my wife's new Cherokee. That one doesn't really do any hard work its just a highway runner so probably will just let it run the regular 7.5-8k intervals the computer will suggest.

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
My lease just ended and I went in for my last free oil change and they did the work then said the free oil changes were expired so I had to pay out of pocket which was super aggravating,
My 2018 Compass got wrecked the day after I got my first of three free oil changes. This was an FCA deal, not the local dealer. The free oil changes were pegged to my VIN and they wouldn't transfer it to the new Compass I bought a few days later. They kept sending me reminders to use my free oil changes, however. :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thats true, mine is the dark green but it was very hard to get, finally found it som city's from here, with the pano roof and half leather interior we wanted..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts